New Faculty Orientation
General Administration: Things to Do upon Arrival on Campus
- New Employee Orientation - Offered by Human Resources every Monday, this orientation covers health insurance and retirement options. Registration is required.
- Employment Forms
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification- Must be completed within the first three days of employment, either with Jennifer Tipton or at the New Employee Orientation.
- Criminal Background Check - All new UT employees must undergo a criminal background check. After your background check has been initiated, you will receive an email to authorize the check.
- Paycheck Profile
- W-4 Federal Income Tax Withholding Online form.
- Directory Information
- Ethics Statement
- Online Compliance Modules
- General University Compliance Form
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID) - Reset your EID password and setup security questions.
- UT Austin Email Address - Faculty receive a free UT email address. The @austin.utexas.edu email provides more storage than the @utexas.edu, so it is recommended for faculty.
- UT Identification Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Faculty use their ID to check out library books.
- Office Keys - Obtain a key letter from Jennifer Tipton and go to the Service Building (SER) with a UT ID card to get an office key.
- Sign up for health insurance and retirement.
- VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and Voicemail instructions. Jennifer Tipton will give faculty their office phone number.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - How to manage the faculty profile webpage. Upload a photo here.
- Parking - Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Austin Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
The Department's offices are located in the Will C. Hogg building. The main office (4.134) hours are Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
Main Office Phone: (512) 471-5811
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 475-6027
Fax: (512) 471-4469
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Asian Studies
120 Inner Campus Dr.
Austin, TX 78712-1086
Internal Campus Mail Code
- CLIPS and Canvas - Online tools for managing classes.
- Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syllabi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Victor Martinez with questions.
- Desktop Support - firstname.lastname@example.org, 471-5000
- Classroom Support - 232-5400 (CLA), 471-9666 (other Liberal Arts buildings)
- General IT Support - 475-9400
Health and Safety
- UT Austin Police Department - Call 471-4441 (or 1-4441), or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides faculty, students, and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - 471-3366
- UT Austin Child Development Center - UT Austin childcare services.
- Jennifer Tipton - Manager. email@example.com, 512-475-6025, WCH 4.134B. Office management, human resources, department budget and finance, staff supervision.
- Abigail "Abby" Black - Graduate Coordinator. Black@austin.utexas.edu, 512-475-6011, WCH 4.128. Graduate program and student matters.
- Joni M Carpenter - Undergraduate Academic Advisor. firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-475-6027, WCH 4.116. Undergraduate program and student matters.
- Jeannie Cortez - Accountant. email@example.com, 512-475-6030, WCH 4.126. Accounting, travel, and textbook coordination.
- Charlotte Giles - Administrative Assistant. firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-471-5811, WCH 4.134. Events, catering, and website updates.
- Victor E Martinez - Associate Coordinator, Course Management Services, email@example.com, 512-471-7207, GEB 4.304. Course scheduling.
- Yalimar Pagan - Front Desk Administrative Assistant. firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-471-5811, WCH 4.134. Office supplies, faculty desk copies, and events.
- Mars Quinones - Student Associate. 512-471-5811, WCH 4.134. Everything else.
General Office Procedures
- Mail - The Asian Studies Department main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed with a key. Mailing within the UT Austin campus is free, and the Department will pay for business mail to outside the University as long as the Departmental address is used as the return address.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has machines for faculty, staff, and graduate students to use for official business matters.
- Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (eg 1-5811); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 9+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (excluding the 1); to make an international call, dial 88+six-digit authorization code+*+011+number.
- Room Reservations - Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the request form for the Glickman Center.
- Supplies - To order office supplies, please see Yalimar Pagan. For equipment, please see Jeannie Cortez.
- Letterhead - Please see the front desk.
- Kitchen - For use by all Asian Studies faculty, staff and graduate students.
- Custodial Service - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set bins in the hall outside offices. The monthly office cleaning schedule is posted on the Custodial Services website.
- Accounting and Travel - Please see Jeannie Cortez.
- Visas - Please see Jennifer Tipton if your visa needs to be renewed.
- Clerical assistance - For class- and research-related matters, faculty should ask either their TA or may speak with the front desk worker for assistance. For any other related queries, please speak with Jennifer Tipton.