How It Works | Links | Contact
The PAR process ensures that academic units secure all funds and appropriate approvals before extending an offer of employment to a prospective faculty member. The PAR process includes new hires (all ranks) and current faculty being offered a new or modified appointment. A PAR must be completed for every offer of new or modified employment except those approved via the promotions process.
After posting and advertising the position and identifying and interviewing the candidate, the academic unit creates the Prior Approval Request packet for the selected candidate, following the steps outlined below. The academic unit may begin informal negotiations before the PAR process is complete, but it does not yet make a formal job offer until the PAR reaches “Offer Pending Status.”
PARs for prospective tenured/tenure-track faculty currently employed in a tenured/tenure-track position at another institution of higher education must receive final approval from the Provost’s Office and the offer must be extended to the candidate by May 1 for employment beginning in the fall semester. After this date, offers may not be extended until the provost requests permission from the responsible administrative officer at the other institution.
What You’ll Need to Complete the PAR Request Packet:
How it Works
Back to Top
- For Tenure/Tenure Track hires, create a new record in CoLA Faculty Offers Database once you have a specific candidate in mind. This is where you will track all negotiations. (To log in to the system use the same account name and password used to access your PBIS Soft Money request.) Consult the Faculty Offers Database procedure for more on using the database.
- Complete the electronic PAR document and the PAR request packet. Work in *DEFINE to complete the electronic PAR document, using the PAR screen-by-screen guidelines. You can find additional help in *DEFINE: Access field level help by typing a “?” in the field, and access command level help by hitting F6 while in the command for which you need help.
See what you’ll need to complete the PAR request packet for a list of items needed for non-tenured, tenure-track, tenured, and courtesy hires. Note that you will need to submit the draft of the offer letter with the PAR. Please consult the sample offer letters.
The final step in the PAR electronic document is to give it department-level approval by using the APP function. Then print the paper PAR, attaching all supporting documentation (Section 7 in *DEFINE). The PAR cover must be signed by the chair or director. Send up the original and forward a pdf copy of the entire PAR packet, along with the electronic version of the draft offer letter. Another copy should remain in the departmental files.
- PAR document routing. Once you’ve completed the PAR electronic document and the PAR request packet, both the electronic PAR and paper PAR documents are routed for approval as follows:
- Tenure (FPT). The electronic document routes from the department to the college, with at least one electronic approval at each level. Final approval is granted at the provost level. The paper PAR must receive signature approvals from the academic unit chair or director, the dean, the Vice President of Research, vice provost and Dean of Graduate Studies, and the executive vice president and provost.
- Tenure Track (FPN). The electronic document routes in the same way as FPT documents (from department to college with at least one electronic approval at each level). In this case, though, final approval is granted at the college level. The paper PAR must receive signature approvals from the chair or director, and the dean.
- Non-Tenure Track (FPN). The electronic document routes from the department to the college with at least one electronic approval at each level. Final approval is granted at the college level. The paper PAR must receive signature approvals from the chair or director, and the dean.
- Research Faculty (FPR). The electronic document routes from the department to the college with at least one signer at each level. Final approval is granted at the provost level. The paper PAR must receive signature approvals from the chair or director, the dean, and the Vice President for Research.
- Final approval and the formal offer. Once the PAR has final approval, the electronic document will enter “Approved” status and will show “Offer Pending” (see Section 7 in *DEFINE). A PDF document of approved tenured PARs will be e-mailed to the college PAR contact as a notification that approval is complete.
At this point, the candidate is recognized as Prospective Faculty in the UT EID system and you should create the Biographical Record using the Biographical Record Wizard.
- The academic unit is now authorized to send the approved formal offer letter to the candidate. Please be sure that all letters to tenured and tenure-track faculty use the correct start date.
- Candidate’s acceptance of offer. Once the academic unit receives the original, signed offer letter from the candidate indicating his/her formal acceptance of UT’s offer, forward this original, signed offer letter and one copy to Lonnie Lisenbee, in the CoLA Dean's office for review.
The original will be forwarded to the provost's office where they will update the PAR offer status (section 7 in the electronic *DEFINE document) to “Offer Accepted.” The candidate is now recognized as Future Faculty in the UT EID system.
- PAR push to HRMS. Once the PAR status shows "Offer Accepted," the position and assignment are automatically pushed to HRMS. This process will happen overnight.
- After position is created, make any changes to funding, hours worked, rate, start date, etc. in HRMS.
Back to Top
Back to Top
Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to email@example.com
Last Modified: 28 September 2016