CMES Announces "Bridge Across Civilizations 2010," a 10-day program in Turkey for educators
Tue, February 2, 2010
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, in partnership with the Institute of Interfaith Dialog, will conduct a ten-day tour of Turkey this summer designed especially for K-12 educators.
The tour will include visits to İstanbul, Turkey's largest city, once capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires; Şanlıurfa, reputed burial site of the patriarch Abraham; Antalya, on the Mediterranean coast; and İzmir, Turkey's third largest city, and gateway to the historical cities of Ephesus and Selcuk.
In addition to visits to museums and cultural sites, the program will include visits to private homes and schools to meet Turkish educators and citizens.
The per-person cost for this program is $2,750.
- Round-trip airfare from Houston or Dallas to Istanbul and all internal flights within Turkey;
- Local transportation;
- Accommodations within Turkey;
- Tour guide fees and gratuities;
- Site entry fees;
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
The fee does not include:
- Passport and visa fees;
- Independent travel, transportation, sightseeing or meals outside of group activities;
- Spending money for souvenirs, personal purchases, etc.;
- Health insurance, pre-departure check-ups and inoculations;
- Travel from your home city to Houston for departure to Istanbul*
*We request that all participants plan to travel to Turkey as a group. You may alter your return itinerary to include extra time in Turkey or a stopover at your own expense. depending on available airfares, travel from other cities may require an additional fee.
Reservations and a deposit of $1500 are due by March 26--Click here for more information and to download the application form. Space is limited to ten participants.
This program is sponsored by local entities with the intention of benefitting relations between Turkey and the US. Accordingly, space preference will be given to those who teach world studies, or who can demonstrate a relationship between their professional duties and world studies curriculum and/or classrooms.
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies is a licensed provider of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the State Board of Educator Recertification, and will award professional development hours for the program.
- About Hemispheres
- K -12 Training
- Curriculum Resources
- Understanding Migration
- Explorers, Traders & Immigrants
- People and Place
- Restoring Women to World Studies
- Teaching About Rights
- Africa Enslaved
- Teaching with Primary Sources
- Other Resources
- Longview Foundation
- Online Training
- Post-Secondary Training
- Conference Handouts
- Teacher Travel Abroad
University of Texas at Austin
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: