Travel to Uzbekistan with MES Outreach this summer!
Mon, February 4, 2013
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin—part of Hemispheres--is excited to partner with the non-profit Global Exploration for Educators Organization (GEEO) to offer a unique travel opportunity to visit the heart of the Silk Route.
June 20 – July 1*
From the remarkable mosques and architecture of Tashkent to the ancient capital of Khiva, follow the legendary Silk Road through the exotic best of Uzbekistan. Indulge in steamy marble hammams, roam the twisting lanes of ancient bazaars and explore the monuments and minarets of Samarkand. This 12-day adventure is a great introduction to this incredible country.
GEEO and the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin are collaborating on this program. You will be accompanied by an experienced Uzbek tour leader arranged by GEEO, and an academic escort from the University of Texas. Together they will help provide background, context, and narration throughout the journey, and help you think of ways to use the experiences in your teaching and your classroom.
*the program begins in Tashkent on June 20 – most participants will have to depart the US on June 18 in order to arrive in Tashkent on June 20.
- Tashkent walking tour, Samarkand walking tour including Registan, Home stay in mountainside village, Bukhara walking tour, Khiva walking tour, Yurt stay.
- G Adventures Tour Leader throughout, local guides, University of Texas representative.
- 12 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 2 Dinners. (Allow USD $260-$315 for meals not included.)
- Taxis, local bus, air-con bus, plane.
- Hotels (10 nts), homestay (1 nt), traditional yurts (1 nt)
What's Not Included
- International air (we are currently working on arranging a group block on Turkish Airlines, departing from Houston on June 18 and returning to Houston on July 1—details will be forthcoming to registered participants)
- Applicable visas (Uzbekistan does require a visa that must be obtained in advance; we will provide instructions on how to obtain a visa once the trip is confirmed)
- Airport Taxes
- Tips or gratuities
- Meals not mentioned above
- Optional Tours or optional admissions
The program requires a minimum of 6 participants to be confirmed and has a maximum group size of 16.
You can register NOW with a deposit of $250; the balance is due 60 days prior to departure.
Respondents to the travel survey have a window of opportunity to register before anyone else; general registration will open next Wednesday, February 6 (we won't even post it on our web site until then!)
For more information and to sign up: http://www.geeo.org/tours/Uzbekistan/
Questions? Contact Chris Rose at CMES or Jesse Weisz at GEEO
- About Hemispheres
- K -12 Training
- Online Training
- Post-Secondary Training
- Conference Handouts
- Teacher Travel Abroad
University of Texas at Austin
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: