The Promotion and Tenure Dossier Guidelines and sample documents assist faculty and staff to compile and catalog all documents related to the promotion file. They are based on the Provost guidelines, and the Provost Office's General Guidelines should be considered the overall source for promotion process and policy. Some practices described in our checklist apply to our college only. If you have any questions or seek clarification, please do ask us!
Note: These documents are provided as a guideline for Liberal Arts faculty and departmental administrative staff only.
Letters to Outside Reviewers (COLA only)
For non-tenure track promotions, please use the letters on the Provost’s website.
Examples and Templates (COLA only)
List of Publications [updated soon]
Chart of Reviewers [updated soon]
CoLA CIS Averages template [updated soon]
Course Ratings Averages template (EVPP)
Sample Postdocs Supervised [can also be used as template for placeholders, memos, etc.]
Grade Inflation Reports (COLA only)
If your faculty have questions on how the grade inflation factors are calculated, here is the explanation, excerpted from the COGNOS business rules.
- March: Departments notify Dean's Office of who will be going up for promotion and tenure in the Fall.
- March-May: Dean's Office staff meets with candidates and department staff to go over guidelines and answer questions.
- September 15, 2017: Promotion materials are due to the Dean's Office.
- October 1, 2017 (at latest): CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee begins to review promotion materials.
- October 27-28, 2017: CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee meets to deliberate and vote on promotion candidates.
- November 29, 2017: Promotion materials are due to the Provost's office.
- Early January 2018: Provost Office review and request edits to CoLA files.
- Late January/early February 2018: Dean Diehl will meet with President's Committee to discuss promotion candidates.
- February 15, 2018: President will notify the Dean of promotion and tenure decisions.
- March 19, 2018: Deadline to submit final arguments and CCAFR requests to the Provost Office.
- April 6, 2018: President will notify Dean of final decisions on Final Arguments.
Please direct questions about the College of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Review process to Gail Davis