The Promotion and Tenure Dossier Guidelines and sample documents assist faculty and staff to compile and catalog all documents related to the promotion file. They are based on the Provost guidelines, and the Provost Office's General Guidelines should be considered the overall source for promotion process and policy. Some practices described in our checklist apply to our college only. If you have any questions or seek clarification, please do ask us!
Note: These documents are provided as a guideline for Liberal Arts faculty and departmental administrative staff only.
Letters to Outside Reviewers (COLA only)
For non-tenure track promotions, please use the letters on the Provost’s website.
Examples and Templates (COLA only)
List of Publications [updated 4-12-16]
Chart of Reviewers
CoLA CIS Averages template
Course Ratings Averages template (EVPP) [updated 4-12-16]
Sample Postdocs Supervised [can also be used as template for placeholders, memos, etc.]
Grade Inflation Reports (COLA only)
If your faculty have questions on how the grade inflation factors are calculated, here is the explanation, excerpted from the COGNOS business rules.
- March: Departments notify Dean's Office of who will be going up for promotion and tenure in the Fall.
- March-May: Dean's Office staff meets with candidates and department staff to go over guidelines and answer questions.
- September 15, 2016: Promotion materials are due to the Dean's Office.
- October 1, 2016 (at latest): CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee begins to review promotion materials.
- October 21-23, 2016: CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee meets to deliberate and vote on promotion candidates.
- November 1, 2016: Promotion materials are due to the Provost's office.
- Early December 2016: Dean Diehl will meet with President's Committee to discuss promotion candidates.
- December 15, 2016: President will notify the Dean of promotion and tenure decisions.
- January 31, 2017: Deadline to submit final arguments for Terminal Appointment Pending decisions to the Provost Office.
- February 17, 2017: President will notify Dean of final action in Terminal Appointment Pending cases, whenever possible.
Please direct questions about the College of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Review process to Gail Davis