Cash Advance Request for Travel
• First, request an RTA number through your CBS group using the online TAR request form.
• Complete the Travel Cash Advance Request Form online 10 business days prior to travel.
Please do not request a cash advance more than 30 days prior to travel.
• Documentation to Include with the request: VE5/RTA, AIS for participants, Restricted Regions approval, and/or Foreign Travel on State Funds approval.
• CBS will email you if any documentation is missing
• Once the request is appropriately signed and routed to the Office of Accounting the request will be uploaded to Box
• When the check is ready for pick up in MAI 132, the cash advance recipient or person indicated on the request form will be notified.
Please bring a photo ID to pick up the check.
Checks are only released to the person named on the cash advance.
• Please contact CBS if you plan to purchase any equipment prior to or during travel.
• By accepting the cash advance, you are responsible for keeping all receipts.
• If you will be paying a consultant, you must fill out a receipt for each individual and obtain a signature from him/her (provided below),
and include on your spreadsheet.
• All receipts and documentation should be submitted to Gregory Halverstadt within 14 days of the end of travel.
• CBS will calculate the currency conversion using Oanda.com
• Your CBS contact will email you if additional information is required.
• Please include the following for your reconciliation:
• paperclip all receipts and place in an envelope
• a word document or excel spreadsheet indicating the expense type for each receipt
• the VE5/RTA coversheet
• AIS for payments to participants
• Restricted Regions approval, FTG approval, Foregin Travel on State Funds approval
(Please do not tape, highlight, or staple receipts. If receipts are in a language other than English, please provide proper translations.)
- If you are in a department, please assign the RTA to your departmental contact.
- If you are in a unit serviced directly by CoLA CBS, please assign the RTA to your CBS contacts:
Group 1 (Gregory Halverstadt, Peter Koester)
Group 2 (Amy McMillan, Matthew Smith, Andrew Beachum)
- Please note that if receipts presented are less than the total funds requested, the university requires
you to submit a check to pay back the unused portion of funds.
- If expenses exceed the cash advance, you will receive reimbursement after the reconciliation of
documents is complete
- Receipts presented must be within the dates noted on the cash advance.
For more information on Cash Advances for Travel, please refer to the Handbook of Business Procedures.