Great Basin Institute / Nevada Conservation Corps, 2014 Fall Nevada Conservation Corps AmeriCorps Crew Member, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8637
Wed, August 20, 2014
Explore this position and the application instructions via your BTT Gateway account, Job ID 8637
Description: Spend your fall working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Nevada Division of Forestry. Projects may include trail construction and maintenance, hazardous fuels reduction, and habitat restoration.
Compensation: This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living stipend of $3,500 for the fall. This is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary. This stipend paid to members in bi-weekly installments throughout their term of service. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service members shall receive an additional education award in the amount of $1,468 that can be used for paying off student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
Timeline: September 2, 2014 – November 24, 2014 (please be prepared to serve for entire term)
* Trail construction and maintenance
* Hazardous fuels reduction & habitat restoration
* Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%
* Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
* Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
* Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff.
* Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC
administration, crew supervisors and project partners.
* Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water.
* Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment.
* Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members.
* Participating in in-field education sessions.
Work Schedule & Location: Crew members may be assigned to serve from the Las Vegas Field Station, the Reno Field Station, Great Basin Nat’l Park, or Ely, NV and will serve in the field on 4-day tours, 8-day tours, or a mixture of the two. Schedules will be dictated by project site and distance from the field station. All schedules are subject to change due to unpredictable circumstances. The NCC will help during the transition time with housing recommendations. We will not provide housing nor sign leases, but we can assist with identifying housing options.
Possible Project Site Locations:
* Spring Mountains NRA
* Red Rock Canyon NCA
* Carson City, Nevada
* Ely, Nevada
* Great Basin Nat'l Park, Nevada
The locations of service will depend on which regional office you are assigned to for during your term of service. Restoration crews will deploy from either our Reno or Las Vegas Field station depending on which project you are assigned to for the field season.
Training: Members will participate in orientation from September 2, 2014 to September 5, 2014. During orientation members will receive training in technical skills related to the specific crew they are placed on. Members will also be trained in Leave-No-Trace ethics and CPR/First Aid.
Qualifications: To qualify, you must be over 17 years of age and a US citizen that has received a high school diploma or GED. All offers of employment are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check. Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two 1700-hour education awards).
- About Us
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- BTT Gateway
- Career Fairs & Forums
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- International Opportunities
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: