Goldman Sachs 2014 Application Developer, Infrastructure Engineer or Business Summer Analyst, Application deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7503
Sun, October 6, 2013
GOLDMAN SACHS FIRM OVERVIEW
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
TECHNOLOGY DIVISION OVERVIEW
The Technology Division is comprised of business units which are aligned either directly to the Firm’s businesses and collaborate on various technology needs, or engineer the fundamental infrastructure of the Firm. The Technology Division represents approximately 20% of the Firm’s employee population and supports all of our offices globally.
Summer Internship Program
The Technology Summer Internship program is a 10 week program, starting the first week of June and ending the second week of August. The first couple of days will consist of general orientation to the division and the firm, after which you will be placed with your team for the summer. You will work on daily activities and projects with your team and attend divisional and technology-specific learning series presentations as well as networking events to help you form relationships with your fellow interns as well as managers within the division.
At Goldman Sachs, we deal with real world technology challenges of a size, scale and complexity that very few companies face. The solutions built by our Technology Division are a core part of the GS product offering and client experience and have a direct impact on our business -- our business will only be as successful as our technology enables it to be, and our technology will only be effective if it is built on very solid technical footing. Technologists at Goldman Sachs are ambitious, innovative and committed to client service and, by working in close partnership with our clients, exemplify the collaborative, team-driven environment that is the hallmark of Goldman Sachs culture and key to our success. Successful candidates are expected to have a strong technical aptitude, understand how to engineer, scale and support production processes and be ready for a career that will require one to learn and grow professionally over the long run.
Application developers are actively involved in all aspects of the software development life cycle and constantly need to analyze complex problems and work closely with the business partners to provide technical solutions for challenging business requirements. This gives them the opportunity not only to work with a varied number of technologies but also to have a significant and direct impact on the success of the firm. Business Unit aligned technology groups are largely comprised of Application Developers.
Application developers at Goldman Sachs are responsible for a wide range of projects such as developing iPhone applications, complex financial applications, high volume trading systems, enterprise data services, cutting edge search engines and advanced GUI design to name a few. We are constantly looking for the best technologies which will allow us to develop innovative solutions and increase our efficiency in every division of the firm.
The Firm's infrastructure is managed by Technology Infrastructure (TI). The roles within this expansive group are diverse and usually lie in an area between Application Developer and Infrastructure Engineering work – but all of them require strong collaborative problem solving skills. Technology Infrastructure partners with application development teams, engaging directly with the business to ensure that requirements are understood, usage patterns analyzed and technology leveraged to enhance communications, collaboration and productivity. Roles within Technology Infrastructure can offer external exposure opportunities to vendors and the open source community, which enable collaboration with and exposure to the wider technology industry. Example roles include:
• Cloud computing related roles such as the proprietary development and lifecycle management of our private cloud, software defined and traditional networking, Hadoop stack engineering, core platform server and virtualization engineering, storage engineering and other hardware based engineering roles.
• End user related roles that include developing firm facing desktop, web and mobile productivity tools and frameworks as well as our client services organization, which manages and operates internal support channels for TI offerings.
• Application platform related roles include engineering and support of RDBMS and NoSQL databases, messaging, and other middleware platforms. In addition to using vendor and open source middleware, Technology Infrastructure also has a proprietary software group that provides a software stack for Technology Infrastructure related efforts.
• Production risk management related roles within Technology Infrastructure include process and control engineering, production environment change management controls and technology services which include organizations that provide expert production support.
Business Analyst or Project Manager
As a Business Analyst or Project Manager (BA/PM) you will work closely with project teams and business clients to support key projects involving critical business initiatives and technology implementation. The BA/PM role includes managing projects from inception through implementation leveraging best-in-class project management skills, and conducting detailed business and technology analysis using strong functional expertise. BA/PMs play a central role in aligning the needs and capabilities of stakeholders, mitigating project risks and ensuring the project goals are met.
Goldman Sachs recruits students and graduates who have a record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities. A background in finance is not necessary. What we do require are integrity, professional excellence and teamwork.
In addition, we look for people who have:
• Are highly motivated and adaptable
• Computer Science and/or engineering backgrounds
• Keen interest in technology
• Have strong analytical and organizational skills
• Display excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Are accurate and detail oriented
• Display creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
Goldman Sachs, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in employment on any basis that is prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
To apply, see BTT Gateway Job ID 7503. Application deadline is 10/6/2013.
- About Us
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- Career Exploration & Research
- Job Search
- BTT Gateway
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- Career Fairs & Forums
- Law & Graduate School
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: