MDRC - Research Assistant [3102-45], Application deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7466
Mon, November 11, 2013
MDRC is seeking a Research Assistant to work in our Young Adults and Postsecondary Education policy area, which conducts research to gauge the impacts of programs designed to help low-income students succeed academically in community college and other postsecondary institutions.
MDRC is seeking a candidate with interest in postsecondary education programs and/or research and strong analytical, communication, and organizational skills. Working as part of multiple interdisciplinary teams, the new Research Assistant will focus largely on supporting cost-effectiveness analyses of postsecondary education programs and will also have the opportunity to participate in various stages of the evaluation process, including program design and operations, qualitative research, and report production.
The position provides the successful candidates an opportunity to focus on a range of organizational, analytical, and communication tasks, including:
• Communicating with MDRC staff, external partners, and community college staff to collect and analyze site budget and expenditure data;
• Collecting and analyzing quantitative data from Internet databases;
• Using Microsoft Excel to analyze data and prepare tables, charts, and figures;
• Describing cost analyses in text; developing PowerPoint presentations illustrating analyses;
• Conducting fact-checking to verify and document the accuracy of published analyses;
• Carrying out background research and literature reviews as needed;
• General project and management support for multiple projects, including scheduling meetings, note-taking, and maintaining timelines; and
• Involvement in various stages of producing reports, proposals, and papers (coordinating with multiple authors, writing, preparing charts and tables, fact-checking, and documentation).
The position may also provide opportunities for the successful candidate to join on site visits to community colleges or other institutions to help set up new studies and to collect data through qualitative interviews or observations.
Candidates should have a BA/BS, preferably in a social science, and a strong interest in education and social policy issues. Desired skills include:
• Basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods;
• Strong oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to think critically and approach a problem from multiple angles;
• Excellent attention to detail and organization, and the ability to multitask;
• Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and the desire and aptitude to learn more;
• Experience with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and prior experience working on a major research study and editing a large report or publication, is a plus.
• Comfort working in a team-oriented and fast-paced environment.
The position is based in MDRC’s New York City office. Travel to study sites will be required. Some on-the-job training is provided. Salary and level will be commensurate with experience. Comprehensive fringe benefits offered.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, MDRC strongly encourages minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply. Legal work authorization required.
To apply see BTT Gateway Job ID 7466. Application deadline 11/11/2013.
- About Us
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- BTT Gateway
- Career Fairs & Forums
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- International Opportunities
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: