Blanton Museum of Art, University Engagement Fellow, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8176
Tue, April 1, 2014
REPORTS TO: Museum Educator for University Audiences
DATES: August 27, 2014 – May 21, 2015
COMPENSATION: $9470 stipend, benefits, and eligibility for resident tuition rates
DESCRIPTION: The Blanton Museum of Art is a space for active looking and learning on the UT campus. Curriculum-based teaching initiatives and professional development programs engage students and faculty from varied disciplines within the arts, humanities, social sciences, engineering, medicine, and natural sciences. Through object-based gallery lessons that connect art to ideas and issues in other fields, the Blanton trains students in core skills vital to their academic success. The University Engagement Fellow will assist the Museum Educator for University Audiences in researching, preparing, teaching, and evaluating customized interdisciplinary class sessions in the museum, as well as in planning and implementing various faculty and student programs.
Graduate Fellows are invited to participate in a variety of enrichment activities at the Blanton, which may include professional development seminars, docent trainings, exhibition openings, public programs, and tours. Graduate Fellows also receive a discount in the Blanton Shop and Café, and free admission to B Scene.
• Assist with researching, planning, and leading a wide range of UT classes in the museum.
• Assist in implementing evaluation tools to assess the impact and success of university class visits.
• Compile and maintain reports and files on class visits.
• Develop, maintain, and update print and online curricular resources.
• Help develop ideas and content for faculty and student programs, and coordinate program logistics with other museum departments.
• Help conduct outreach on campus related to special exhibitions and other Blanton initiatives.
• May contribute to exhibition or permanent collection interpretation projects as assigned.
• Assist with administrative tasks.
• Graduate student in good standing at the University of Texas at Austin, making satisfactory progress towards an advanced degree in art history, art education, classics, history, literature, religion, area studies, or a related discipline
• Approval of the graduate, thesis, or dissertation advisor
• Must remain registered for at least 9 credit hours during the fall 2014 and spring 2015 semesters
• Must maintain at least a 3.0 graduate GPA
• Broad knowledge of art history
• Interdisciplinary, creative thinker capable of connecting art with a range of academic subjects
• Teaching experience preferred, or a strong interest in gallery teaching
• Mature and professional communication skills
• Ability to work independently
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, and some knowledge of research tools and databases
• Must be available select Mondays from either 10am-12pm or 6-8pm for docent training and for occasional evening hours
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND:
• Resume or curriculum vitae with education, employment history, and contact information for 3 references
• 1 letter of recommendation
• Short sample of academic writing (10 pages maximum)
• Cover letter addressing your interest in the position. If applying for more than one Graduate Fellowship, please include order of preference.
Submit as PDF (please no doc files) to email@example.com by April 1, 2014.
Please note: 2014-2015 Graduate Fellowships are dependent upon confirmation of funding.
- About Us
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- BTT Gateway
- Career Fairs & Forums
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- International Opportunities
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: