Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) and Community Colleges Research Travel Fellowships
LLILAS Benson Latin American Studies and Collections at The University of Texas at Austin announces the availability of travel fellowships for faculty from community colleges and qualified Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) across the U.S. to conduct research at the Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection, one of the premier libraries in the world focused on Latin America. In accordance with Title VI National Resource Center guidelines, this funding is limited to projects that focus on countries in Latin America, and does not include the United States and Puerto Rico.
In partnership with the Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS), the Benson Collection is a regular destination for visitors from throughout the world. Founded in 1926 and named, in 1975, to honor its director of three decades, the library excels in humanities and social sciences disciplines, in addition to an array of scientific and professional literature published in Latin America. The library’s holdings include nearly a million books, magazines, newspapers, journals, and other materials. This collection is complemented by a world-class archival collection containing manuscripts, art, maps, letters, and other one-of-a-kind materials. The collection is continually enriched by a vigorous acquisitions program and by a growing collection of original digital resources available online.
The travel fellowships are designed to deepen institutional linkages, further research interests, and enhance Latin American curricular content at participating institutions. Each fellowship will reimburse travel costs up to $3,000, which will cover up to two weeks' stay in Austin, TX. Three fellowships are available for summer 2017; travel must take place before August 1, 2017. This program is generously funded by a grant from the US Department of Education Title VI National Resource Center Program.
- PhD from an accredited institution preferred; MA or equivalent considered for faculty of community colleges
- Current faculty appointment at a community college or qualifying MSI*
- Research and teaching interest in Latin America
* If you are at a qualifying MSI that does not appear on the list, please note this on your application.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application form (PDF, 113K)
- A letter of interest addressed to the LLILAS Benson Director of Public Programs, Javier Auyero, PhD, specifying the following:
- Your topic of research
- Your plan of activities and/or the materials that will be consulted
- A description of how your research will enhance your curriculum and enrich classroom learning
- The anticipated dates of your proposed visit in summer 2017
- A current curriculum vitae (CV)
Applications are due on or before 5:00 PM CST on Friday, November 18, 2016. Please submit applications, in PDF format only, by e-mail to Zhandra Andrade.
A review committee comprised of LLILAS faculty and Benson librarians will evaluate applications and select three applicants for summer 2017 awards. All applicants will be notified of the status of their applications by February 1, 2017, by e-mail.
Funding & Reports
- Funding will be dispersed as a lump-sum award during the spring semester.
- Funds may ONLY be used for travel, lodging, and meals.
- Funds may not be used for the purchase of equipment or materials of any kind.
- No later than 10 days after an awardee's return travel, awardees are required to submit by e-mail to Zhandra Andrade a 1—2 page research report in the form of a letter addressed to LLILAS Benson. Reports will be provided to the U.S. Department of Education for grant reporting purposes.
- About Us
- Digital Resources
- Centers & Programs
- Graduate Program
- Undergraduate Program
- Funding Opportunities
- LLILAS Internships
- Student Directory
- Theses & Dissertations
- UT Graduate Network
- Study Abroad
- Visiting Academics
- Public Engagement
- Giving to LLILAS
- Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection
- Consultar nuestro sitio en español
- Consultar o nosso site em português
Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies
University of Texas at Austin
2300 Red River Street D0800
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: