Visiting Scholar and Research Fellow Programs
Due to the outstanding Benson Latin American Collection and the large and distinguished Latin Americanist faculty affiliated with the Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS), many scholars choose to spend sabbatical or other research leave at the University of Texas at Austin. To accommodate these researchers, LLILAS offers the Visiting Scholar and Research Fellow programs. Visiting Scholars and Research Fellows do not receive a stipend, nor is tenure or continuation at UT Austin implied. LLILAS is currently unable to provide office space, but study carrels are available on a first-come, first-served basis in the Benson Latin American Collection library.
The status of Visiting Scholar is granted to individuals coming to LLILAS Benson to pursue their own independent research. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required to apply for Visiting Scholar affiliation. Appointments are made for a minimum of one month and a maximum of one year.
Individuals who are working in collaboration with LLILAS-affiliated faculty at UT Austin and/or those whose work will be supporting LLILAS Benson initiatives are eligible for Research Fellow status. A PhD is required. Appointments range from a minimum of one month to a maximum of one year.
Privileges granted with acceptance into both the Visiting Scholar and Research Fellow programs include:
- a University of Texas identification card
- free access to public transportation (bus service) with indentification card for the duration of your affiliation
- the ability to check out books from any university library
- access to online databases
- the ability to purchase a recreational sports membership
- the ability to purchase an on-campus parking permit
Get a UT EID. Please use this ID number on your biographical information sheet and background check form.
Applicants must submit the following:
- a letter of interest addressed to the LLILAS Associate Director for Public Programs. The letter should specify the following items:
- the requested status (Visiting Scholar or Research Fellow)
- the exact dates of your proposed visit (i.e. January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013)
- your source of funding for the duration of your affiliation (scholarship, fellowship, grant, or personal funds)
- your topic of research
- your plan of activities and/or the materials that will be consulted
- the name of the LLILAS-affiliated faculty sponsor (if any)
- if assistance obtaining a visa is required (see visa section)
- a current curriculum vitae (CV) in English
- a scanned copy of a current photo identification form (passport or driver's license)
- the completed biographical information sheet (DOC, 29K)
- the completed background check form (PDF, 1.8MB)
Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Please be advised that LLILAS accepts a limited number of scholars requiring J-1 visa assistance per academic year. Affiliation is neither automatic nor guaranteed by LLILAS, and final approval for all visiting academics is made at the discretion of the Office of the Vice President for Research.
For more information and to submit application materials, contact Zhandra Andrade at +1 512.495.4582.
Foreign individuals seeking affiliation for more than a total of 90 days will need to apply for a J-1 visa. The application process for a J-1 visa takes 12-16 weeks. Individuals applying under the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program will be sponsored by LLILAS. We strongly encourage individuals to apply early. Please be advised that LLILAS accepts a limited number of visitors requiring J-1 visa assistance per academic year.
For additional information, please visit J-1 Visa Exchange Program.
- About Us
- Digital Resources
- Centers & Programs
- Graduate Program
- Undergraduate Program
- Funding Opportunities
- LLILAS Internships
- Student Directory
- Theses & Dissertations
- UT Graduate Network
- Study Abroad
- Visiting Academics
- Public Engagement
- Giving to LLILAS
- Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection
- Consultar nuestro sitio en español
- Consultar o nosso site em português
Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies
University of Texas at Austin
2300 Red River Street D0800
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: