With the first year of college successfully behind them, the time has come for second year students to think about the future —specifically how they want to spend the rest of their time at UT Austin and what they need to do to make certain they are well prepared for the next step in their lives (whatever that may be).
During their second year, Plan II students are required to participate in the Sophomore Advising Program, a year-long series of events and activities that help students to connect with resources, create a plan to achieve their academic & career goals and get the most out of their remaining time at UT Austin. The components of the Sophomore Advising Program include the Sophomore Summit event, a self-reflection questionnaire and resume, Plan II Career Week, and a one-on one advising session with a UT faculty member. Participants in the Sophomore Advising Program include Plan II staff and alumni, faculty from across the campus, multiple University offices and representatives from post-graduate programs.
All four components of the Sophomore Advising program are required for Plan II second year students; failure to participate an any part of Sophomore Advising will result in an Advising Bar. It is our sincere hope that students will take advantage of the Sophomore Advising program to learn more about themselves, the resources available to them, and how to best use the time they have left at UT to prepare for the future.
Sophomore Advising Timeline 2016-2017
- September 21, 2016 – Sophomore Summit 6:00pm -7:30pm, WEL 2.246
- October 31, 2016 – Deadline to submit answers to Sophomore Advising Questionnaire and Résumé to the Plan II Office.
- Late Fall 2016 / Early Spring 2017– students notified by the Plan II Office who their assigned faculty member is for sophomore advising session
- February 2017 - Career Week (Details TBA)
- April 1, 2017 – Deadline to meet with your assigned faculty member for sophomore advising session and submit Advising Report to the Plan II Office.
The Sophomore Advising Program
Sophomore Summit is an event (typically held in September) where we welcome students back for their second year at UT Austin and gather them together as a class/members of the Plan II Community. The purpose of the Sophomore Summit is to briefly introduce students to several offices/resources on campus, provide guidance on customizing their course choices (to prepare for thesis), and explain the Sophomore Advising program. It is our hope that students leave the Summit with the information and tools they need to investigate the many opportunities that lay before them and start thinking about their future.
The next step of the Sophomore Advising program is for students to take some time to research and reflect as they complete the Sophomore Advising Questionnaire. Students are also required to compile a Résumé. Students submit their answers to the Sophomore Advising questionnaire along with a copy of their résumé to the Plan II Office in October.
The Plan II Office will then use the information students submit to match them with a UT Austin faculty member with whom they will meet with for an advising session during the spring semester. All students are notified who their assigned faculty sophomore advisor is by the start of the spring semester. Students must meet with their faculty advisor by the start of April and submit an Advising Report to the Plan II Office documenting the meeting with the faculty member.
Lastly, all second year Plan II students must participate in Plan II Career Week, held annually in February. Career Week kicks off with an alumni panel event where current students and alumni, who are now in various career fields, can connect and the alumni have a chance to share stories, insights and advice with their younger peers. Career Week also features workshops designed to help students explore their individual interests and opportunities such as studying abroad, participating in undergraduate research, finding an internship, marketing their Liberal Arts Degree/Career Services, preparing for postgraduate education in a variety of fields (law, health, etc...) and service opportunities (Peace Corps, Teach for America, AmeriCorps).
Questions concerning Sophomore Advising:
- Sophomore Summit 2016 Resources (posted after event)
- Sophomore Advising Questionnaire
- Career Week 2017 Schedule
- Sophomore Advising Report Form
- Plan II Major/Curriculum Description for graduate school applicants and job seekers
- Liberal Arts Career Services
- Health Professions Office (HPO)
- Pre-Law Advising
- Graduate School Planning - LACS
- Graduate School Planning - Vick Center
- Sanger Learning Center
- UT Career Services Offices
- Study Abroad Office
- Information on Undergraduate Research
- Longhorn Center For Community Engagement
- About Plan II
- Visit Plan II
- 1st Yr Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact a Current Plan II Student
- Why Choose Plan II
- Comparing Plan II & Liberal Arts Honors
- Admission Notification
- Plan II Student Info
- Organizations & Activities
- I am Plan II
- First-Year Students
- Civic Engagement
- Public Health Program
- Study Abroad
- Career Information
- Worthington Essay
- Parents & Family
- The Joynes Suite
- Teaching in Plan II
- Support Plan II
Plan II Honors Program
University of Texas at Austin
305 East 23rd St
Austin, Texas, 78712-1250
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: