Plan II Honors Commencement Convocation, Spring 2011
Thu, December 9, 2010
Diane P. Wood, Circuit Judge on the US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Commencement Speaker: The Honorable Diane P. Wood
Diane P. Wood is a Circuit Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and a Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law School. Judge Wood attended the University of Texas at Austin, earning her B.A. in in Plan II Honors in 1971 (highest honors), and her J.D. in 1975 (Order of the Coif).
After graduation from law school, she clerked for Judge Irving L. Goldberg on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1975-76), and for Justice Harry A. Blackmun of the U.S. Supreme Court (1976-77). She then spent a brief period at the Office of the Legal Adviser in the U.S. Department of State. In 1980, she began her career as a legal academic at Georgetown University Law Center. She moved to the University of Chicago Law School in 1981, serving as a full-time professor until 1995 and as Associate Dean from 1989 through 1992. In 1990, she was named to the Harold J. and Marion F. Green Professorship in International Legal Studies, becoming the first woman to hold a named chair at the school. From 1993 until she was appointed to the Seventh Circuit in 1995, she served as Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Judge Wood is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and is on the Council of the American Law Institute.
Judge Wood is also to receive the Texas Exes Distinguished Alumnus Award. Created in 1958, Distinguished Alumnus Awards are granted annually to alumni who have distinguished themselves professionally and through service to The University of Texas.
Judge Wood is married to Dr. Robert L. Sufit. She has three children and three step-children. She enjoys playing the oboe and English horn in several Chicago-area amateur orchestras.
Student Speaker: TBA
Plan II Honors Chad Oliver Teaching Award Recipient: TBA
Music Provided by Mariachi Estrella
The commencement convocation ceremony will be immediately followed by a light brunch reception in the Texas Union Ballroom.
Ticket information for Plan II Honors Convocation:
- Graduating Plan II Honors graduating seniors do NOT need a ticket for the Plan II Honors Graduation Convocation. All other guests must have a ticket to enter the Hogg Memorial Auditorium.
- Disregard ''balcony'' or ''orchestra'' designation on tickets.
- THERE IS NO RESERVED GUEST SEATING. (One family member can’t arrive early and save/hold 5 or 6 seats.)
- Seating is ''first-come, first-seated.''
- The doors to Hogg Auditorium will not open until 8:30 am.
- Each graduating senior may pick up SIX (6) tickets for family and guests, from (THESE ARE TENTATIVE DATES) APRIL 26 THROUGH MAY 7, at the Plan II Honors Program office front desk.
- Each senior will be asked to sign for the number of tickets he/she picks up.
- Tickets will not be reserved for seniors who do not pick up tickets on or before the deadline.
- Because we will not have more tickets than available seats, we hope seniors will not pick up more tickets than they expect to use. Please do not pick up six tickets if you know you will only have 4 or 5 guests!
- On MAY 10 (tentative date), all remaining Plan II Honors Graduation Convocation tickets will be released on a ''first-come, first-served'' basis to those seniors who expect more than 6 guests. If you show up and tickets are available, you can get them. If you show up late and they are gone....that’s that.
NOTA BENE: Graduating seniors who walk in the evening University-wide ceremony on Saturday night DO need a ticket.
The most convenient parking for the Plan II Graduation Convocation should be readily available in UT Parking Garage #2 on San Antonio Street (one block west of Guadalupe Street) between 24th Street and 25th Street. On May 21 and May 22 no permits are required and no charges will be incurred at University garages.
Guest drop-off for seniors and those with disabilites is possible at the front door of Hogg Memorial Auditorium. There is very limited disabled parking at Hogg Auditorium on Saturday, May 22. If driving east on 24th Street, turn right at Inner Campus Drive and right again at the Yield Sign at the turtle pond. This will take you to the front of the Hogg Memorial Auditorium where you may drop-off guests before parking at another spot. You must mention ''Plan II Honors commencement at Hogg Auditorium'' to the guard to be allowed entrance to the inner campus area.
Cap and Gowns:
University Co-op Bachelors Regalia Set (cap, gown, stole, and tassel): $49.98
March 3: Graduation Department Opens in the Co-op Outlet
May 14: Last day for Bachelors students to purchase regalia.
Special services are available to accommodate needs for individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodations adaptive equipment, please contact Jennifer Scalora (512 471-1442) at least five days prior to Commencement activities. Campus resources and a map with details of accessibility on campus are available at Disability Resources Home.
Students needing accommodations should also notify Jennifer Scalora (512 471-1442) and work with Services for Students with Disabilities (512 471-6259; TTY 512 471-4641).
Invitations and Announcements:
Printed invitations and announcements for mailing to family and friends may be ordered from the University Co-op at each of its three locations. Commencement invitations and announcements should be purchased by MONDAY, MAY 2 and mailed by FRIDAY, MAY 6 to ensure delivery."
Theyhave a wide variety of package sizes, students may purchase personalized invitations as low as $10.00 for a set of 10. Turn-around time is 2-5 business days. We recommend students send invitations out to arrive at least 2 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Students may shop online at www.universitycoop.com, or visit:
-Graduation Department in the Co-op Outlet
2304 Guadalupe St.
Austin, TX 78705
800-255-1896 option 7
2902 Medical Arts
Austin, TX 78705
See more information on graduation at:
The College of Liberal Arts (link available in April, 2011)
The University of Texas Commencement 2011 (link available in April, 2011)
(includes cool video and schedules of the two days of events and ceremonies)
- About Plan II
- Visit Plan II
- 1st Yr Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact a Current Plan II Student
- Why Choose Plan II
- Comparing Plan II & Liberal Arts Honors
- Admission Notification
- Plan II Student Info
- Organizations & Activities
- First-Year Students
- Civic Engagement
- Public Health Program
- Study Abroad
- Career Information
- Worthington Essay
- Parents & Family
- The Joynes Suite
- Teaching in Plan II
- Support Plan II
Plan II Honors Program
University of Texas at Austin
305 East 23rd St
Austin, Texas, 78712-1250
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: