PLACEMENT TESTS IN SPANISH OR PORTUGUESE
- Results of the University of Texas Spanish Examination with Writing Exercise and the University of Texas Portuguese Examination with Writing Exercise are used to award credit by examination or to place students in UT Austin Spanish and Portuguese courses appropriate for their particular levels of proficiency.
- Test results also serve as a basis for awarding credit in one to three Spanish courses (SPN 601D, 610D, 611D) or one to three Portuguese courses (POR 601D, 610D, 611D).
- The Department of Spanish and Portuguese designs the tests, sets the levels of performance required for credit, and specifies who is eligible to earn credit by examination. The Center for Teaching and Learning assists the department by communicating policies, administering the tests, and reporting the credit.
STUDENTS FOR WHOM THE PLACEMENT TEST IS APPROPRIATE
- Students who have prior knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese (regardless of how it was acquired) and who do not have college credit in Spanish or Portuguese are strongly encouraged to take the placement exam before they enroll in their first UT Austin Spanish or Portuguese course.
- Transfer students may also use the placement test to earn additional credit in Spanish or Portuguese or to earn credit for lower-division courses from which they were exempted without credit at another institution.
- Spanish or Portuguese credit already earned is not affected by the results of the placement test. Students who do not intend to enroll in a Spanish or Portuguese course but who wish to attempt to earn credit by examination may also take the placement test.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CREDIT BY EXAMINATION IN SPANISH
- You are eligible for credit only in those courses for which you do not have a passing or failing grade.
- In addition, if you have been enrolled in SPN 601D, 610D, or 611D, or POR 601, 610D, or 611D, or any equivalent course for as long as the date on which the official enrollment count is taken (twelfth class day for long semesters and fourth class day for summer school sessions), you cannot receive credit by examination for that class.
- Each test may only be taken once on campus.
LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE REQUIRED FOR CREDIT
- In addition to 65 multiple choice test items in Listening, Grammar and Reading, there will be a UT Austin writing exercise comprised of a short essay, approximately 200 words long, that tests the student's ability to communicate ideas clearly in Spanish or Portuguese.
- The student will be expected to write in Spanish or Portuguese using a wide range of vocabulary, grammar structures, appropriate connecting words and organization of the topic. Students’ essays will be scored on content and accomplishment of task, range and use of vocabulary and grammar, textual organization, flow as well as use of connectors, and punctuation and spelling.
- To receive credit, the student must receive satisfactory scores on the University of Texas Spanish or Portuguese examination and writing exercise.
- For more information, please contact the Student Testing Services office at 512-232-2662.
- The placement exam must be taken on the UT Austin campus.
- Test Periods: The University of Texas Spanish Examination with Writing Exercise and the University of Texas Portuguese Examination with Writing Exercise are offered on the UT Austin campus during scheduled testing periods several days before each class registration period, once per month, and also during most summer orientation sessions.
- Test Registration: You must register for a test online: https://ctl.webhost.utexas.edu/treg/index.cfm
- Test Registration for Students with Disabilities: If you require academic accommodations or assistance due to a documented disability, you should contact these two offices at least five business days before the day of the test.
- Services for Students with Disabilities, in the Office of the Dean of Students at email@example.com, http:/deanofstudents.utexas.edu/ssd/, or (512) 471-6259 to seek approval for authorized accommodations.
- CTL/Student Testing Services at (512) 232-2662 to register and make arrangements to take the test.
- Registration Fee and Test Fee Payment: When you register for a test, you will be immediately billed a non-refundable test registration fee of $20. The test fee is $60 and is subject to change. The test fee will be billed only after you take the test. Payment for both charges is due within 14 days of billing. The total fee for this test is $80.
- Repeating the Test: You may take the placement exam only once.
- Admission to the Test Room: When you register online you will be given the location of your test room. You must present, at the test room, a generally accepted form of identification that includes both your signature and photograph. Without such identification, you will be admitted only if you bring and relinquish a photograph of yourself.
- Test Results: Results are available within a few days after the test date, at a time and place announced at the test administration. Once they are available, results may also be found online.
Faculty & Research
- New Faculty Orientation
- Faculty Publications
- Niyi Afolabi
- Arturo Arias
- Jason Borge
- Luis E. Carcamo-Huechante
- Héctor Dominguez-Ruvalcaba
- Vivian Flanzer
- Jane Johnson
- Orlando R. Kelm
- Dale Koike
- Delia L. Montesinos
- Melissa D. Murphy
- Chiyo Nishida
- Mina Ogando-Lavin
- Gabriela Polit
- Jill Robbins
- Cesar A Salgado
- Jossianna Arroyo-Martinez
- Naomi E. Lindstrom
- Sonia Roncador
- Cory A. Reed
- Kelly McDonough
- Sandro Sessarego
- Graduate Students
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Publications
- Graduate Dissertations
- Undergraduate Program
Courses in Spanish and Portuguese
- Language Program
- XXII Graduate Colloquium
- Luis Fellowship
- The Investiture of Professor Arturo Arias
- Fourth Texas Cervantes Symposium
- EDUARDO LALO at UT Austin Nov. 14-15
- Language contact and bilingualism
- Achy Obejas
- Prof Sandro Sessarego
- What the Entrepreneur Sees in Don Quixote
- Prof. Sandro Sessarego, specialist in Contact Linguistics, to join the faculty in Fall 2014.
- "Narrating Narcos" Book Presentation by Gabriela Polit
- The State of the Comedia Suelta: Celebrating the Texas Collections
- Pragda Fillm Festival
- prof. lindstrom appointed Gale Family
- colloquium: Racialized Geographies
- Don Quijote and the Mediterranean World
- Feature Archive
- Events & Seminars
- Giving to Spanish & Portuguese
- About & Resources
Spanish and Portuguese
The University of Texas at Austin
150 W. 21st Street, Stop B3700
Austin, TX 78712-1155
Advising & Registration: 512-232-4506/512-232-4503; Graduate Coordinator: 512-232-4502; Main Office & General Inquiries: 512-471-4936
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: