College of Liberal Arts

Faculty Leave of Absence or Release from Instructional Budget

How It Works | Links | Contact | Tips/FAQs

If a faculty member within the College of Liberal Arts (CoLA) will not be paid from his/her department's Faculty Salaries account, for any period of time, he/she must request a leave or release from the instructional budget.

Requesting leave is NOT necessary under the following circumstances:

  • Accrued sick leave or sick leave pool is being taken. In this case, the Dean’s Office should be contacted and made aware of the need for a faculty member taking sick leave. Additional information on using Sick Leave.
  • When ONLY a College Research Fellowship has been awarded. In this situation, the faculty member will simply remain on the instructional budget as though he/she were teaching as usual. Provisions are made on the Teaching Load Credit report for these special appointments.
  • A Special Faculty Assignment has been granted by the provost/president. These appointments are handled like College Research Fellowships (above).
  • A UT administrative appointment will pay all or part of a faculty member’s salary. For example, appointments as dean, associate dean, director, vice president, etc. do not require requesting a leave. Approval for this type of leave from the instructional budget is implied with the approval of such an appointment.
  • Leave is taken during the summer months.
  • A faculty member will be paid by another department faculty salaries account where he/she holds an appointment. In this case, both units should simply prepare the necessary electronic document to effect the appointment.
  • Jury Duty
  • Official travel for research, teaching, administrative, official State business, military leave (up to 15 days per year) if all appropriate travel approvals have been secured in a timely manner.

How It Works

back to top

  1. In the event that the faculty member is not paid 100% from the Instructional Budget, the Faculty Request for Leave (FRL) form must be completed for the faculty member using the line-by-line instructions outlined here.

    The FRL should be completed with all applicable information, faculty signature, and chair signature. If the faculty member has appointments in more than one department, an FRL will be required from each department or one FRL signed by both/all chairs.

    NOTE: If you are processing a leave request for a faculty member accepting an FRA, you will need to turn in the faculty member’s FRA Acceptance form together with the Faculty Request for Leave form.

    When considering leave requests, chairs should consider impact on course scheduling and availability for students and advise Associate Dean for Academic Affairs if there are problems. You should not forward a leave request to the Dean’s Office until curricular issues are resolved.

  2. Chair or Department uploads fully completed and signed Faculty Request for Leave form (and FRA Acceptance form, as applicable) to the Box Folder below. Form reviewed for completion and compliance. 

    Deadlines for submitting leave requests to the Dean’s Office are: early April for all Faculty Research Assignment (FRA) accepted for the next academic year; early May for long session or fall only leave; and late October for spring only leaves.

    NOTE: If a leave request is submitted after the university deadlines, you will need to provide reason/justification for the delayed request.

  3. Dean reviews Faculty Request for Leave form (and FRA Acceptance form, if applicable). If approved by the Dean: Release Time leaves will be returned to the Departments, LWOPs will be forwarded to the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost to be processed in Workday. Once the Provost approves the LWOP, the approved FRL will be returned to the department and the department staff contact is then responsible for informing the department chair and the faculty member of the approval.


Note: PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
Note: XLS files require Excel Viewer.

Tips or FAQs

back to top

Course Buyouts



back to top 

Sally K. Dickson 512-232-5711

Last Modified: September 24, 2019