College of Liberal Arts

Probationary Period Policy

See the CoLA HR page on Probationary Period for Instructors and Assistant Professors for a complete overview of probationary period policies, including procedures for requesting an extension (“stopping the tenure clock”).

In brief: To request an extension of the probationary period a faculty member should write a letter to their chair, explaining the circumstances of the request. The chair will forward the request, along with a letter of support, to the dean. The dean in turn will send the letters to the Provost, accompanied with a letter of support from the dean. The Provost will then notify the dean when a decision has been made.

Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to


Last Modified: 6 August 2009


Tamela Walker

Director, Human Resources


Probationary Period Policy