College of Liberal Arts

VP2 (Service Payment Request)

How It Works | Links | Contact | Tips

Use the VP2 when paying for services or merchandise that have been billed (if the vendor requires a purchase order use the VP1 instead). The VP2 should also be used under these special circumstances:
  • Expenses related to a visitor’s travel, if there is an APS or PBS for the visitor, and/or if there is a hotel charge for the visitor (otherwise, use a VP5 instead).
  • Parking expenses incurred in Austin.
  • Flowers that have not been purchased for an event (use an OOEF if you are processing expenses for flowers purchased for an event).
  • Reimbursing moving expenses.
  • Making co-sponsorship payments: We are to use object code 1535. If an endowment account is used for a co-sponsorship payment, the document creator should be aware that the Office of Accounting must route the paperwork to University Central Development for review by the Endowment Compliance office and use of the account may be denied. We strongly urge departments to use some other non-centrally funded 19- or 29- account or an appropriate gift (such as VD/VP) or agency account.

How it Works

Back to Top

VP2 Policies:
  • VP2s must be created within 60 days from the date of purchase.
  • Endowed funds may not be used for gifts, flowers, catering for parties for individuals, or cards (sympathy, birthday, etc.).
  • Reimbursements to an individual for conference registration cannot be submitted prior to the event. Exception: If you are paying an institution directly, you may submit the VP2 prior to the event. The Procard can also be used to pay for registration prior to the event.

    NOTE: It is preferred that reimbursement to employees for conference registration be processed on a VP5, however, if reimbursement is processed on a VP2, the document creator must include the RTA number on the PO number line.

Please Note When Completing the VP2:
  • Please put the RTA/PBS/APS number in the PO line of VP2 docs. Because you are including this information in the PO line, you do not also need to include it in section 3 or the document notes.
    • When entering the RTA information you should use the RTA number which begins with TV rather than the Document ID.
    • PBS documents have a PBS and a PO number. The PO number can be found on the left of the screen; it is directly below Navigation Menu and above Document ID when logged onto Point Plus. On the printout of the PBS, the PO number is listed directly below the Document ID.
  • If you have provided a paper APS, simply type APS on the PO number line.
  • If paying memberships to professional organizations use object code 1301. Under “Goods and Services Begin/End Date” enter the first day of the membership in both fields (i.e., the begin and end dates should be the same). Under “Voucher Description” provide correct, specific begin and end dates for the membership. The "Invoice Number" line should include the name of the membership or a recognizable abbreviation of such plus the membership year if possible. It is also recommended that the document creator use Check Distribution T (see Section III-Payment Details of the Voucher Processing handout (PDF); this means that the document creator has attached a copy of the paperwork to accompany the check sent to vendor or that payment is to be sent in an attached express mail envelope). It is also recommended that you type an X at "Separate Check" (this means the document creator is requesting that the payment for the voucher should not be combined into one check with other documents; quite often a check serves as payment for multiple voucher documents and this is a way to ensure the vendor will properly credit the department).

    NOTE: These memberships should be paid from local funds unless prior approval to use state funds is given by the Provost’s Office. If using state funds, see the Provost's Office site for Institutional Membership and Dues for Professional Organizations, which has links to the form requiring signature approval by the Dean's Office (should be sent to Michelle Hughes) and the Provost's Office. Once approved by the Provost's Office, the form will be returned and a copy should be attached to the first voucher paying for this membership. The original signed form should be kept in the department's files and the approval referred to in document notes of future vouchers with additional reference to the first document that was approved.

  • If paying social club dues use object code 1302. The "invoice number" line should include the member acct number followed by a slash and the month & year for dues. Example: 232X/June 2009 dues.

    You must have prior approval from both the dean and the provost to pay such dues, and you will need to submit documentation of that approval with the VP2. Because these dues are usually paid monthly, under “Goods and Services Begin/End Date” enter the first and last day of the month.

  • When paying an individual for services, the VP2 must be accompanied by an APS or PBS. If the payee is a US citizen, use a PBS. Process a paper APS (instead of a PBS) with the VP2 if:
    • payee is not a US citizen, or
    • you are paying from a 26-account, or
    • you are paying the individual through their institution.
  • If payee is a UT employee, use an OV7 instead of a VP2.
  • If you are using an endowment account and the payee is other than the holder of the endowment, please confirm in VP2 notes that the holder (include holder’s name) has given permission for or requested this use of their funds. The VP2 will not be approved without this note.
  • If you are paying for lodging, please list the purpose in the voucher description: guest lecturer, prospective employee, performer, etc.
  • If this is a moving expense payment/reimbursement use object codes 1280 for taxable expenses and 1281 for non-taxable expenses. Like expenses should be lumped in to single transaction lines. If moving expense reimbursement is $1000 or more, please confirm in the document Notes that the voucher cover sheet with original receipts and a copy of the offer letter is included with the voucher paperwork.
  • If this is a contract payment, please confirm in the document notes that the contract has been signed by the Liberal Arts contracts and grants specialist and/or by the UT contracts and grants official.
  • If this is for a househunting trip, please include a copy of the signed offer letter rather than an APS.  The only time an APS is needed for househunting trips is when arranging travel with Anthony Travel.  Househunting expenses should be processed on a separate document and must state that it is for househunting in the voucher description.
  • If the VP2 is a Co-Sponsorship, the document must be routed to Michelle Hughes for the Dean's signature. Document notes must include the payee’s address even if shown on the voucher cover sheet unless the address is included in the invoice. For Student organizations, the Vendor ID must be in the name of the President of the organization.


Back to Top

Note: PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. PPT files require Microsoft Viewer.


Back to Top

Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to

Tips or FAQs

Back to Top

  • Make sure you are using the proper codes for check distribution, as specified in the OA Handbook on Voucher Processing (PDF). Use “F” for payments sent to a foreign address, “C” for payments sent to a campus address, “U” for direct deposit & payments sent US mail, “T” for payments accompanied by attachments.
  • For more VP2 tips, consult the “Common Reasons Vouchers are Returned to their Creator” section of the OA Handbook on Voucher Processing (PDF)
  • Co-sponsorships must be signed in the dean's office
  • Oversized Backup: Oversized Backup is any backup that is larger than a standard 8½” X 11” sheet of paper. Oversized backup must be reduced to 8½” X 11” before submitting it to IDS. Because the reduced copy is not an original invoice, to be in compliance with UT payment guidelines it must be certified as an original invoice that was copied for scanning purposes.
  • Late Vouchers: Any voucher processed more than 60 days from date of purchase or service must be accompanied by a memo (on departmental letterhead) from the Chair/Director explaining why the voucher is being submitted late. If the voucher is for a reimbursement for the Chair/Director, it must be signed by Chief Business Officer Kimberly Biar which can be scanned and submitted electronically to Michelle Hughes.

Last Modified: 19 October 2017