WGS BA to MA 5-Year Program
The Center for Women’s and Gender Studies offers an integrated program to enable currently enrolled, highly motivated undergraduate students with strong intellectual capacities to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies and a Master of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies within a five-year period.
The Integrated BA/MA (WGS) program serves to highlight the intellectual rigor of the WGS program; promote opportunities for undergraduate students to pursue advanced study; improve student preparation for competitive PhD programs; and improve job market opportunities for Liberal Arts graduates.
Eligibility Requirements include:
- Majoring in WGS at the University of Texas at Austin
- 3.0 GPA
- 60 hours of completed coursework, including timely progress in the UT Core/College of Liberal Arts and WGS major requirements
- Meeting with WGS Undergraduate Advisor for appropriate paperwork to partcipate in the program every semester
- Consent of the graduate course instructor
- Consent of the department’s undergraduate WGS academic advisor and graduate advisor
- Consent of the associate dean for student affairs
Students who major in Women’s and Gender Studies within the College of Liberal Arts may begin this process during in March/Aprilof their Sophomoreyear.
WGS BA students begin taking graduate courses in their Junior year. In the spring of their Senior year, they apply to the 5th Year through the online Apply Texas graduate school application (note: there is a different program code and deadline).
Interested students should contact the Undergraduate Academic Adviser in WGS before the end of their Sophomore year (if possible) to determine eligibility.If you are a current UT Austin student and would like to schedule an appointment with the WGS Undergraduate Academic Adviser, please use https://calendly.com/ajsalcedo to find a day and time that work for you.