The Economics Department

Business Economics Option Program

BEOP allows economics majors to take a set of restricted accounting and finance courses in UT’s McCombs School of Business. By taking accounting and finance classes alongside business majors, BEOP students explore complementarities between economic analysis and business, thereby strengthening the quantitative and analytical skills they acquire as economic majors.

Additional details below on: how to apply, the required coursework, how and when to register for BEOP classes, BEOP completion and recognition, and FAQs.


After meeting ALL eligibility requirements to the Economics Undergraduate Advising Office you can apply in-person at BRB 1.114,  or via email to There is no deadline to apply.

Application for students in the 12-14 or 14-16 catalog

Application for students in the 16-18 and 18-20 catalog


To find out more information about required coursework click here.

Please review the prerequisites for these courses and be aware BEOP students may take no more than two business courses per semester. Plan accordingly!


Students are granted access to upper division BEOP classes AFTER initial senior/junior registration access periods (to allow priority for ACC/FIN majors). Detailed registration instructions provided upon admission. Registration in any BEOP class in any semester is subject to availability.

Students who wish to get a head start on the program before they are officially admitted can petition to take ACC 311 and ACC 312 through McCombs's Enrollment Control Petition. If the petition is approved, students are typically given registration access on the second class day of the semester. Access to these classes is still subject to availability.

Note that students are strongly encouraged to take BEOP classes in summer. Here’s why:

  • In general there is less demand for BEOP classes in summer—that means more open seats. Most (but not all) BEOP classes are offered in summer—talk with an advisor to plan ahead.
  • In fall and spring semesters you must wait to access any upper division BEOP classes until after business upperclassmen have registered. In summer you can register during your initial registration access period—no waiting.
  • In fall and spring semesters BEOP students need to request prerequisite waivers for FIN 357 & 367. In summer BEOP students do not need a waiver in order to register (but do need to meet the prerequisites stated above). No waivers and no waiting!


Upon successful completion of a BEOP Track, you will be eligible to receive a letter of recognition from the Department of Economics. BEOP students will get an email notice from the Economics Advising Office near the end of each semester with instructions of how to obtain your recognition letter. We will confirm you meet the requirements and mail your recognition letter to the address you have on file with the University.

If you wish to use your BEOP Track to satisfy your minor you need to declare it in the Economics Advising Office, BRB 1.114. 


Q- Is BEOP a separate major/degree?
A- No. Students in BEOP are completing a BA in Liberal Arts with a major in Economics, just like any other economics major. BEOP students’ major code and major title are amended to reflect that they are in the program, but their actual major does not change. BEOP satisfies the minor requirement in the economics degree plan.

Q- Does being in BEOP give me access to McCombs resources such as career services?
A- No, BEOP is not a major within the Business School so you would not have access to their resources. However, McCombs has recently begun allowing non-business majors access to their career fairs.

Q- I plan to apply to the BEOP but I am currently taking the prerequisite course. Can I go ahead and register for the first BEOP class?
A- No. You have to have a posted grade in the prerequisite course in order to be admitted to BEOP and have registration access to BEOP classes. As soon as your grade is posted, turn in your BEOP application, so that you will have access for the next add/drop period.

Q- I transferred ACC 311 and ACC 312 from another school. Can I count them toward the BEOP?
A- Yes. In fact, some students who need more time to fulfill BEOP eligibility requirements take ACC 311 and 312 at ACC to get a head start on the program.

Q- What is the difference between the Business Minor (aka Business Foundations Program) and BEOP? Which one should I choose?
A- BEOP is a set of restricted business major level accounting and finance classes. Access is restricted to those who qualify. Upon completion students receive a letter of recognition from the Economics Department and the courses can satisfy a minor in Business, Accounting, or Finance depending on the chosen track. The program offers rigor, depth, and the opportunity to earn significant credit hours in accounting or finance– which is of particular value to students who plan to work in the accounting/banking/finance arena, or who plan to pursue an MBA, or graduate study in accounting or finance.

The Business Minor offers an introductory non-business-major-level knowledge in a variety of business subjects: accounting, information systems, finance, business law, international business, marketing, management, and entrepreneurship. The program is open to all majors. The classes are open to anyone. This program may be of value to students interested in a broader foundation in business and/or for those who wish to develop a diversified skill-set for multiple, or as yet undefined, future goals.

Q- The application says you need a 3.0 UT ECO GPA. What does that mean?
A- It means you have to have a 3.0 GPA based on all economics courses taken at UT that are counting toward your major. Transferred economics courses are not considered, nor are credit-by-exam courses in which CR was assigned instead of a letter grade.

Q- I'm not sure which track to do. Can I do more than one track?

A-  No, unfortunately with our limited resources we cannot support students doing multiple tracks. Students must pursue one track only and will be recognized for one track only. Students can, however, switch tracks. Notify the advising office in that case.