france ut institute wordmark

Study in France

Chateaubriand Fellowship for Science for scientific research in France

If you are currently working toward your Ph.D., or have completed it in the past five years, you may qualify for a fellowship from the French Government to conduct research in France. Applicants must be US citizens or be registered with a US university or a US National Laboratory. Some of the fellowships are co-sponsored by French companies.

Named after François-Renè de Chateaubriand, a French writer and political figure who, in 1791, reached Niagara in search of the Northwest Passage, the fellowship enables young scientists to conduct research in France at a university, a school of engineering, or a public or private laboratory. Candidates must be accepted by a French laboratory to be eligible for this fellowship.

Only complete applications (available online) received by the deadline will be accepted.

Chateaubriand Fellowship Assistant
Office for Science and Technology
Embassy of France
4101 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington, DC 20007

Chateaubriand Fellowships in the Humanities

The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers scholarships for research in French literature, cinema, the humanities, the arts, history, philosophy, political sciences.

Information online

French Embassy
Bourse Chateaubriand/ SCAC
4101 Reservoir Rd.
Washington D.C. 20007

Tel:(202) 944-6294
Fax:(202) 944-6268

For information on other fellowships consult the site of the French embassy which provides information on programs and support for American students.

More Information

  • AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study)
    AIFS organizes cultural exchange and study abroad programs throughout the world, and offers more than 100 scholarships each year. Contact them at 1-800-727-2437
  • Scholarship search engines, which enable you to tailor your search to your individual needs and qualifications (especially helpful if you are a minority, woman, etc.). A few good ones are:
  • Council on International Educational Exchange
    Information about exchanges, international study programs, and studying in a foreign country.
  • US Department of Education
    Please check the Student Financial Assistance page of the US Department of Education website.
  • IEE: International Educational Exchange
    The International Educational Exchange website also provides information on American assistance.

  • Center for European Studies

    University of Texas at Austin
    158 W. 21st St.
    Mezes 3.126
    Austin, TX 78712

  •  Facebook