Centralized Business Services

Events FAQ

Q:  Can a reimbursement be made for meals of a spousechild, or companion
A:  Yes, meals can be reimbursed for a spouse, child, or companion of the visitor of the university. Reimbursement for a spouse, child, or companion of a faculty member is allowable if the visiitor has also brought his/her spouse, child, or companion.

Q:  Who is authorized to sign AT&T contract documents? 
A:  The chair/director of your unit is authorized to sign off for catering, AV, room charges, etc. related to the AT&T Center. 

Q:  Can an individual be reimbursed for a meal at somebody's home
A:  Yes, as long as it is an Official Occasion. *NOTE: The address of the meeting should be included in the notes section of the OOEF request. 

Q:  Can alcohol be served at an Official Occasion held on UT campus? What about an Offical Occasion at a private residence?
A:  Yes, alcohol can be served at an event on UT campus, but pre-approval from the Provost's Office is required. Alcohol may be served at a private residence. It 
is advisable that alcohol is served by TABC certified individuals. Please see the Handbook of Business Procedures, 9.1.1.F.

Q:  What is the procedure to follow when there will be a catered event on campus
A:  If alcohol will be served at the catered event, or you wish to prepay the caterer, you will need to contact the Contracts office. 

Q:  Should individuals who did not eat at an Official Event be included on an OOEF?
A:  Yes, all people in attendence need to be listed. The number of guests on the receipt should match the number of names listed on the form or a note needs to be included as to why there is a difference. 

Q:  Should children's names be included on an OOEF? 
A:  Yes, all people in attendence, including children, should be listed.

Q:  What does affiliation mean? What if a person is not affiliated with a school? 
A:  Affiliation should be noted as the department, school, or company for which the individual works. If no affiliation applies, please write "N/A".

Q:  When should entertainment expenses related to travel be submitted? 
A:  Entertainment expenses should be submitted at the same time as the travel reimbursement request. 

Q:  How do entertainment expenses during travel affect a traveler's $41 per diem
A:  The entertainment expense will be reimbursed 100%. The per diem will be adjusted accordingly. 

Q:  Is an itemized receipt needed for reimbursement of catering charges? 
A:  Yes, please attached itemized receipt with the OOEF request. *NOTE: Sometimes these receipts are called Event Forms or Event Sheets.

Q:  Can charges for flowers be reimbursed to individuals? 
A:  Charges for flowers can be reimbursed if sent by a department or office to honor the deceased or for recognition.

Q:  Is it necessary to create an OOEF for flower charges? 
A:  Yes. An OOEF is necessary as it shows the approval by applicable chair/director or dean.

Q:  Is it necessary to create an OOEF for the purchase of plastic tableware and paper plates for an event?
A:  Yes, any items purchased related to an event outside normal operations must have an OOEF associated with the reimbursement or payment. 

Q:  Does a fully executed contract need to be submitted with the OOEF for a banquet at a hotel? 
A:  Yes, please upload with the OOEF request. *NOTE: This does not apply to the AT&T center since it is affiliated with the University.