Centralized Business Services
Liberal Arts building

3/6/2020- Effective immediately, all future international university-related travel must be booked by the UT Austin contracted travel agents or Concur UT’s online booking tool.

Given the evolving situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and in an effort to protect employees’ health and financial interests, travel to CDC Level 2 and 3 travel advisory locations for coronavirus is restricted. Travel to these areas will require authorization from the International Oversight Committee as well as additional university authorities. Travelers will be required to forward their International Oversight Committee approval letter to the travel agencies prior to airfare issuance.


Employee Travel

Topics:  College Travel Policy | Prior Authorization for Travel | Faculty Travel Grants | Restricted Regions | Arranging Travel | Travel Reimbursements | Relocation Expenses

Prior Authorization for Travel

A Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) is required for all UT employees traveling to conduct university business, regardless of whether or not there is any cost to the university. An RTA is needed any time a person conducts university business off-campus for more than 4 hours (i.e. local conference, meeting, etc.).

A Travel Authorization Request (TAR) will be completed for any employee traveling for official business, or who will be travelling during the academic year - this is the first step in the RTA process.
For a comprehensive overview of travel authorizations needed for prospective employees and individuals who have recently accepted a job offer at UT, please see this chart.

Faculty Travel Grants

The Graduate School offers a Faculty Travel Grant. Eligible faculty will be guaranteed up to $1,200 per academic year for travel expenses to present original papers at scholarly and professional meetings. This includes reimbursement for all allowable travel related expenses (such as lodging, meals, transportation and registration, which are non-taxable reimbursements), and can also be used to cover extra childcare expenses incurred because of the travel (a taxable reimbursement). An approved “Request for Travel Authorization” (RTA) must be on file prior to making the travel. Funds may be used for foreign or domestic travel. For more information, please visit the Faculty Travel Program webpage.

Restricted Regions

The University of Texas at Austin supports and encourages international travel and collaborations and recognizes that a global perspective is essential to its academic mission. The University is committed to the safety and well-being of its students, faculty and staff when they participate in these activities and realizes that some areas of the world present heightened health and safety risks. In particular, countries that have U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings have been identified as regions that require special efforts to mitigate risk and, when necessary, call for the avoidance of travel altogether.

The University of Texas System requires all travel to countries with U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings to be reviewed and approved by the University's International Oversight Committee (IOC). This policy outlines the procedures that all students, faculty and staff must follow to ensure their international travel complies with the UT System directive. These procedures are in addition to all other requirements for travel set forth by the traveler's department/unit.

Arranging Travel

Once the traveler's RTA is final approved, the traveler may arrange travel through one of the University's four approved methods.

Anthony Travel
Travel can be booked by phone, email, or via the online reservation request form.
Local phone: (512) 617-8444
Toll-Free phone: (800) 684-2044
Email: UTTravel@AnthonyTravel.com


Corporate Travel Planners
Travel can be booked by phone or via the online reservation request form.
Toll-Free phone: (800) 906-3002

Online reservations through other vendors is allowed. The invoice submitted with reimbursement request must include the traveler's statement:
“Online selection is best value as consistent with institutional priorities.”
Please see Travel Management Services' webpage for more information.

Travel Reimbursements

The Travel Payment Voucher is processed after the travel is complete and the traveler has submitted receipts for reimbursement.

Transportation receipts

  • Personal car - mileage printout from Mapquest
  • Rental car - invoice with proof of payment
  • Airplane - invoice with proof of payment
  • Mass transit - please keep all receipts and payment stubs
  • Taxi/Car service - please keep all receipts and note any gratuity.

*NOTE: UT does not require receipts for ground transportation for reimbursement, but your department might. Please keep a log of expenses.


An overnight stay is required for meal reimbursement. The daily rate of reimbursement is set by each department within the College and University guidelines. Please check with funding department for details.

Gratuity for travel expenses may not exceed 20% of the reimbursed amount. Tips will not be reimbursed when state accounts are used. Alcoholic beverages and associated tips are not reimbursable travel expenses.


You will need to submit a folio showing proof of payment.

*NOTE: We are not able to reimburse State sales tax if lodging is located within Texas. A UT employee must provide a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate at Texas lodging establishments in order to be exempt from state lodging taxes.

Relocation Expenses

New full-time UT Austin employees are eligible for reimbursement of their household and personal relocation expenses under the guidlines of the Handbook of Business Procedures. The HBP designates what expenses are reasonable and not reasonable, taxable and non-taxable, and outlines the procedures for authorization of such reimbursement requests.