Liberal Arts Honors Scholars Program
Edit Headline Text
Edit Subhead Text
Students apply to this four year honors program when applying to The University of Texas at Austin as incoming freshman.
Benefits of the Liberal Arts Honors Scholars Program:
- A community of talented, highly-motivated students selected from a competitive applicant pool.
- Special honors sections of introductory courses, taught by some of the most dynamic and accomplished professors on campus.
- Opportunities to engage with other honors students in student government, volunteer work, field trips, cultural events, and the productions of a theater group and a literary magazine.
- Academic advising from award-winning advisers who understand the challenges honors students face.
- A student mentoring program in which first year students are matched up with sophomore or upper-division Liberal Arts Honors students.
- Eligibility to apply for honors housing and special scholarship opportunities.
*Liberal Arts Honors Scholars Certification Requirements:
- Complete LAH 102H The Idea of Liberal Arts, LAH 104H Professional/Career Development, and a first year honors writing course.
- Complete the second year courses, LAH 112H The Nature of Inquiry and 103H The Idea of Civic Engagement.
- Complete one upper division LAH course with an experiential component.
- Participate in at least two academic enrichment experiences(i.e., student leadership,research, study abroad, internships, community service)
- Complete a capstone project:
Substantial written report on one or more enrichment experiences
- 3.25 or higher GPA upon graduation
*Liberal Arts Honors Distinguished Scholar Certification Requirements:
- Fulfillment of the requirements for Liberal Arts Honors Scholar.
- Completion of at least 2 upper-division LAH classes and graduate with College Honors.
- 3.5 or higher GPA upon graduation.
Students can check and record progress towards the Scholars or Distinguished Scholars Certifications here.
Instructions for fall admission and links to all necessary information can be found in our admissions section.
*LAH Honors Scholars and Distinguished Scholars certificates are an internal designation and are not transcriptable. However, college honors will appear on the transcript for students pursuing the LAH Distinguished Scholars certificate.