College of Liberal Arts


Travel Authorization Requests (previously RTA) are required for traveling to conduct university business off-campus for more than 4 hours, regardless of whether or not there is any cost to the university.

What do I need to get started?
Dates of Travel
Purpose of Travel
Benefit to UT
Disposition of duties
Account(s) to be charged
Estimation of expenses
Breakdown of expenses

Step 1:
Create an online Request for Travel Authorization. You will receive an email when your travel is approved. For more information on how to create a request  

Step 2:
Book travel. All business-related airfare must be arranged through Anthony Travel or Corporate Travel Planners. For more information see Travel Management info.

Step 3:
Get reimbursed with a Travel Reimbursement Request. Expense must be business related and have a paid itemized receipt. For more information see Travel Reimbursement Info.

Travel Authorization Request Form
Airline Reservation Questionnaire (PDF)
State of Texas Hotel Tax Exemption (PDF)
Travel Reimbursement Form

For air and car rental policy information, please refer to the following pages:
Air Travel Policy
Car Rental Policy

Travel Management

There are two ways to handle travel accommodations (flight, lodging, rental car):

  1. You may book accommodations and be reimbursed by the department after travel has completed. Submit proper receipts and invoices in order to be reimbursed. Travel sites like Expedia are not recommended because they typically do not provide itemized receipts.
  2. LAITS administrative team may book flight, lodging, and rental car accommodations on your behalf.  If you would like us to book your air travel, email a complete copy of the Airline Reservation Questionnaire to

Direct Bill Flight
The University of Texas at Austin handles direct bill flight bookings through two different travel agencies, Anthony Travel and Carlson Wagonlit. Acquiring tickets on the traveler's behalf must be done through one of these two travel agents.

Anthony Travel (AT)
Toll Free: 1-800-684-2044?
Office Phone: 512-617-8444
Fax: 866-921-6242
After hours emergency service: 1-800-342-9008 / please give VIT code S IN2F
See Anthony fees

Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT)
Toll Free: 1-800-798-0292 
Local: 512-459-8203 
Fax: 877-304-4530 
See CWT fees

Required information:
Guest's full name
Guest's date of birth
Travel information (dates, preferred times, airports)
Travel Authorization Request Doc ID number

Optional information:
Preferred airline
Frequent flyer numbers
Aisle or window seat preference

The agent may ask you whether you would like a refundable or non-refundable ticket. A non-refundable ticket is often significantly cheaper, but the State of Texas has special state rates for certain destinations. These state rate tickets are refundable, so if you are given the choice between the two and there is a negligible price difference, go with the state rate ticket. Airlines require exorbitant fees to cancel a non-refundable ticket, and it becomes very difficult to reclaim even a small portion of that money.