prc wordmark
prc logo


All business travel must be approved by submitting a Travel Authorization Request (TAR) prior to beginning travel. TARs processed after the fact need to be sent to the CoLA Dean’s Office for approval, along with a memo from the faculty stating why the TAR is late. New CoLA policy allows a faculty member three late TARs during the fiscal year after which TARs and reimbursements will not be approved.

Submitting a Travel Authorization Request (TAR)

UT policy requires that faculty, staff, students, and visitors submit a TAR priorto a business trip and that the RTA be approved by UT prior to your starting your trip. A 30 day minimum is required for foreign travel.

Travel Authorization Requests should be completed online using the Requests system. Instructions for completing the request are here.

An should be submitted whether or not you are requesting reimbursement.

International Travel: If you do not use Anthony Travel or Concur to make your travel arrangements and you will be traveling abroad, you are required to register with International SOS prior to travel. Also, review the restricted regions list. If planned destination(s) appear on a list, an approved exemption is required before the RTA can be approved. Requests for exemptions must be submitted at least 4 four weeks prior to the anticipated date of travel. Please email for assistance.


Reimbursements, Receipts, Documentation

Requests for travel reimbursements for UT employees should be processed using the online Requests system. Instructions for completing the online travel reimbursement request can be found here. All others may send their receipts and a list of expenses to for processing.

Please note that travel reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than 60 days after your last day of travel.

A list of items for which receipts are required is available at

University employees are EXEMPT from Texas State hotel occupancy taxes when traveling for University business. The University cannot reimburse any Texas State occupancy taxes unless the hotel refuses to honor the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate. If you're traveling in Texas, please bring a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate with you.

Meal reimbursements are normally paid by meal allowance (per diem), currently $41 on locally-funded accounts.  No meal receipts are required to receive a per diem meal allowance.  If meal expenses exceed $41 per day, itemized meals receipts and a written explanation will be required.   More detailed information on meal and lodging reimbursements can be found in the Handbook of Business Procedures at

The University of Texas cannot reimburse a split bill (such as hotel) that does not have the UT payee's name, nor will UT reimburse a traveler for another individual’s expenses; it is up to individual travelers to reconcile any private agreement. 

For further information on travel policy, please consult the Travel Policies in the Handbook of Business Procedures and the COLA Policy for Travel, or email

Allowable Costs

Allowable costs on most grants include airfare, hotel, local transportation, car rentals, airport parking, individual meals (without alcohol), business phone calls, and registration fees.  Unallowable costs include alcohol, group meals, payments made on behalf of another individual, dry cleaning or laundry services, maid service, fees to local events, personal phone calls, in-room movies, non-business internet fees, travel insurance, medical insurance, and other personal expenses. 

You must have an overnight stay to claim meals or lodging.  Vaccinations are reimbursable if required to enter the country.  Automobile insurance to Mexico is reimbursable but automobile insurance is not reimbursable for travel to other locations. You must have receipts for inter-city transportation (i.e., bus, train, or taxi receipts). There are further restrictions on state money.

If a department anticipates that an employee will be at a duty point for at least one month, the expense of leasing an apartment or house may be reimbursed. The apartment or house must be leased from a commercial establishment. The name of the employee must appear on the lease, and the purpose for leasing must be the conservation of state funds. Any deposit required for the lease of a house or apartment is the sole responsibility of the employee and is not reimbursable.


Filing a Faculty Travel Grant Application

Please complete your Travel Authorization Request prior to applying for a Faculty Travel Grant. Faculty Travel Grants are available through an online application. Please consult the FTG website at for details. Administered by the Graduate School, faculty travel grants are intended to support the presentation of the applicant's original research or creative effort. An online Faculty Travel Grant application is available at

Attending a meeting or chairing a session does not qualify for an FTG, nor does presenting a seminar or giving a colloquium at another university. Applications must be completed and submitted no later than two weeks before your scheduled trip.

The FTG application should be assigned to Sylvia Celedon, UT EID: sceledon. She will then assign it to the Graduate School. (Please note this is a separate procedure than for the TAR.)


Making Airline, Hotel, and Car Rental Reservations

Once your RTA is submitted and approved, you may make your airline reservations by contacting Anthony Travel (512) 617-8444. Reservations made through Anthony Travel will be directly billed to the appropriate account.  You may also make reservations on your own.  In these cases, you pay for the ticket and are reimbursed after the trip.

State tax at Texas hotels is not reimbursable to UT or State employees.  UT or State employee travelers staying in Texas hotels should prepare and sign a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) and submit it to the hotel.   

UT has special procedures concerning direct billing of car rentals. If you wish to rent a car for your trip, please contact PRC admin staff to have them work on setting this up. [top]


  •   Map
  • Population Research Center

    University of Texas at Austin
    305 E. 23rd Street / RLP 2.602
    Mail Stop G1800
    Austin, Texas 78712-1699