New Employee Checklist
- New employees should review and complete the items listed in the New Employee Checklist.
- Student employees (graduate and undergraduate) should refer to the New Student Employee Checklist.
Completing your I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
New employees are required to complete an I-9 form within three business days of their start date. If the I-9 process is not completed within three days, the employee will be terminated to ensure compliance with federal hiring laws.
Employees will first complete Part I of the I-9 form in Workday. If your position requires an I-9 form, this will show up as a to do item in your Workday inbox.
Once you have submitted Part I, you will need to present your I-9 documents to complete the I-9 process. See the list of acceptable I-9 documents.
Employees attending a New Employee Orientation session will present their I-9 documents and complete their I-9 during the orientation session. All other employees should contact the Research Personnel Coordinator to make an appointment to complete the I-9 process.
Getting started with Workday
- Workday is the HR system used for hiring, time sheets, and payroll. When your position has been set up in the system, you should receive an email from Workday with instructions to log in and complete the to do items in your inbox.
- In order to use Workday, you must have Duo, a multi-factor authentication application. See Getting Started with Duo. For direct assistance with Duo, please call the UT Service Desk at 512-475-9400 or send to email@example.com.
- Login to Workday here.
- View the Workday basic navigation video for an overview of the system.
- Don’t forget to complete all items in your Workday inbox and view your profile to update your contact information, emergency contacts, payment elections, and W-2 elections.
Orientation and Benefits Enrollment
- All benefits eligible employees should attend New Employee Orientation. This orientation class provides an introduction to UT’s culture, services, resources and benefits, including insurance and retirement programs.
- Within 30 days of your start date (once all onboarding and I-9 processes have been completed), you will receive an email with instructions for completing your benefits enrollment. Note that you must complete the enrollment within those 30 days if you plan to select any optional coverage or add dependents.
- In addition to the general New Employee Orientation, faculty are invited the New Faculty Symposium.
Keys and Building Access
- Complete a key request form to request your office/lab keys, and to request card reader access to the SEA building.
- Your signed key request will be sent you by email. Take it to the Service Building (SER) with a UT ID card to pick up your key.
Submitting Time Sheets
All hourly and salaried employees are required to submit time sheets, with the exception of faculty and graduate student academic positions (AI, TA, and GRA titles).
- Hourly employee time sheet submission instructions
- Time sheets are due on the 1st and 16th of every month. If you miss the bi-weekly deadline, your timesheet will be locked until payroll has been run for that pay period.
- To ensure that your time sheet is approved by the payroll deadline, it is important that you email your supervisor when you have submitted your time sheet.
- Salaried employee time sheet instructions: for non-exempt employees and for exempt employees
- To determine whether your position is exempt or non-exempt, see the top of your time sheet, where it will list either “Exempt Time Entry: Work Hours” or “Non-Exempt Time Entry: Work Hours.”
- You can find additional guidance on the Time and Absence training page.
Department Website Profiles
- When your UT email address has been set up, email the Communications Coordinator to be added to the Psychology website. Once you have been added, you will receive instructions for submitting a profile picture and (for faculty and postdoctoral researchers) instructions on updating your profile page and biography.