For a list of Fall 2023 recruiting faculty, please click here (not available yet).
We do not accept applications for a Master's degree.
Interview Visit Dates (by invitation only):
January 27-28, 2023: Clinical Program Recruitment
February 3-4, 2023: General Psychology Program Recruitment
The application deadline is November 15, 2022. Students applying for Fall 2023 must submit all admissions materials by November 15, 2022. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. The application system will open September 1, 2022. When applying, you will be asked to choose an area of specialization and mentors within that area. You may only apply to one area. You can check the receipt of your materials, as well as your application status on the MyStatus page. Due to the volume of applications, the Department of Psychology cannot confirm the receipt of individual items.
Please make sure to read the FAQ page in order to submit the strongest application possible.
How to Apply
All materials are submitted online. Please do not send hard copies of required application materials. We are unable to return original copies of documents sent to the department, and they will not be included in your application.
Submit the following items online to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- The ApplyTexas Application: www.applytexas.org
In the application the specific area of interest or specialty. Indicate the area of psychology to which you are applying (e.g., Social and Personality, Developmental, etc.) and the faculty within that area with whom you would like to work. Faculty members review the application materials of students who have expressed an interest in working with them.
Your ApplyTexas application must be submitted before you can upload your other application materials. As many as two days can pass between your submission of the ApplyTexas application and your receipt of the email with your EID and password to log into the MyStatus page. Please be patient and plan accordingly. If you do not receive the email with your EID and temporary password after two business days, please feel free to contact the Graduate and International Admissions Center.
- Application Fee: $65 application fee ($90.00 for international applicants). After completing your application and paying the application fee, you will receive an email with an EID and temporary password. This EID and temporary password, will allow you to log into the MyStatus website and upload your required materials. Information on application fee waivers can be found here.
- Statement of Purpose: No longer than two pages, single-spaced, uploaded through MyStatus. This is an important piece of your application and should not repeat your academic statement.
What experiences with diversity have impacted your personal growth? Include any educational, personal, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges or opportunities relevant to your academic journey. In addition, please describe any accomplishments, or achievements that will allow the department to evaluate your contributions to our diversity mission.
- Statement of Research Objectives: No longer than two pages, single-spaced, uploaded through MyStatus. Faculty select students who are highly qualified on all admission criteria and who have expressed an interest in research that is congruent with their research programs. Your statement should clearly and succinctly address the following questions:
a) Why do you want to pursue a PhD in the Department of Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin in psychology?
b) What research questions or problems interest you?
c) What book or article exemplifies the kind of research you would like to conduct?
d) How have you prepared yourself for graduate study?
e) What faculty members in the Department of Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin would you like to conduct mentored research with?
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: When you complete the "References" portion of the online application for admission, you will give the names and email addresses of those you have asked to recommend you. Be sure that the email address is current and accurate. We do not accept letters from Interfolio. Recommenders must upload their letter to the applicant's online application.
Note: You must submit your application in order for your recommenders to receive their email. The e-mail will contain instructions and a secure link to the letter of recommendation website.
- Transcripts: Upload an official transcript from each senior college that you have attended.
- Do not mail or email transcripts.
- Transcripts must have been produced within the last calendar year.
- See instructions for uploading the pdf of your transcript here.
The GRE: Is not required for applicants for Fall 2023 admissions to the Department of Psychology graduate program.
TOEFL Scores: International Students must submit the official report of TOEFL scores.The Educational Testing Service (ETS) institution code for UT Austin is 6882. Reports must be sent directly from (ETS).
- Writing Sample: 10-20 page, academic writing sample (e.g., senior or master’s thesis, term paper, publication) uploaded through the MyStatus
- CV: After you submit your application, you will receive an email with your UTEID. You can then upload your CV at MyStatus.
- Other Supporting Materials: Although not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit any other materials that you feel support your application to the program. These should be submitted through the Miscellaneous Documents section on MyStatus.
Contact Information for UT Graduate Admissions
Find instructions for submitting your application on GIAC's webpage.