Slavic and Eurasian Studies

Faculty Resources

Faculty Forms

New Employee Info for Faculty

         1.1 Itemized Reimbursements
         1.2 Entertainment Expenses
         1.3 Office Supplies
         1.4 Request for Travel Authorization
         1.5 Faculty Travel Grant
         1.6 Request for Travel Reimbursement

         2.1 Departmental Course Planning
         2.2 Course Description Policy for Unnumbered Topics Course
         2.3 Flags
         2.4 Textbooks
         2.5 Final Exam Scheduling and Course Instructor Surveys
         2.6 HB2504 and Syllabus Standards
         2.7 Media Availability


  4. OTHER
         4.1 Faculty Computer Support
         4.2 Business Cards
         4.3 Liberal Arts Faculty Resources
         4.4 Fellowships, Grants and Awards
         4.5 Family Friendly Policies
         4.6 University Policies


1.1 Itemized Reimbursements

Requests for reimbursement submitted more than 30 days after the event will not be approved by the Dean's Office due to the time required for document processing, both within the department and in the UT Office of Accounting.

In order to receive a reimbursement you must:
  • Supply original detailed receipts to Jenica Jones
  • Explain why you are requesting reimbursement via email or hardcopy accompanying receipts (What was the event or purchase?)
  • Have a source of funds, either an account specifically for your expenses or departmental approval to be reimbursed from the departmental account

State Sales Tax

University of Texas employees are exempt from Texas sales tax if a purchase is made for University purposes. Faculty and staff are highly encouraged to utilize this status as sales tax may not be reimbursable for some purposes. If you plan on making purchases that are taxable, please pick up a copy of the Tax Exemption Certificate from Jenica or download the form and complete the information. Please present the certificate to the vendor for University-related expenses (including entertainment) to claim the exemption. There are no reimbursements for any Texas State sales tax for approved purchases on department funding. You may have the department make your purchase for you to ensure exemption.


1.2 Entertainment Expenses

Preapproved entertainment costs may be reimbursed by the department or by endowment holders' own accounts. These are considered "Official Occasions". An "official occasion" is defined as a reception, luncheon, dinner, or any purchase related to food that is sponsored and funded by UT (e.g., conferences, meetings, planning retreats, staff meetings). These functions are normally associated with special programs or conferences, University guests, faculty and staff recruitment, or business meetings that span a meal time. To prevent a personal tax liability, you will need to document each occasion with receipts for expenses.

  • Faculty & staff must submit itemized receipts to Jenica Jones within 30 days of the official occasion.
  • They must also submit a receipt showing proof of payment (if this does not already appear on the itemized receipt). If an itemized receipt or proof of payment is not available, the payee must sign a memo explaining why such proof is not available and the document creator should include it with the voucher paperwork. This should be mentioned in the document notes.
  • If there are 12 or fewer attendees at the event, a list of attendees must be submitted with receipts.
  • Tips/gratuity should be limited to no more than 20%.
  • Procards cannot be used at restaurants.

1.3 Office Supplies

We strongly encourage faculty to go through the office manager for all office supply needs. The University has a standing contract with Office Max and is unable to reimburse purchases made with other vendors. Please use the online Office Max catalog for product numbers when making requests so we can be sure to get exactly what you need.

Computers, monitors, and printers cannot be purchased by anyone besides the staff members to ensure University policy compliance.


1.4 Request for Travel Authorization

A Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) must be filed with Central Business Services at least two weeks prior to your travel. The online RTA form can be found HERE. (Requires log-on with EID.)

For further information, consult the Travel Policies in the Handbook of Business Procedures.


1.5 Faculty Travel Grant

On-Line Grant Application

Purpose: The purpose of the travel grant is to support presentation of the applicant's original research or creative effort. The research must be presented at a recognized organized conference or professional meeting. The presentation will usually be in the form of an oral or poster presentation, but can vary with field (example: performance of a new musical work or an art exhibit). Attending a meeting or chairing a session does not qualify. Accepting an invitation to present a seminar or giving a colloquium at another university does not qualify.

Funding: Eligible faculty can receive up to $1,200 per academic year for travel expenses to present original papers at scholarly and professional meetings. This includes reimbursement for all allowable travel-related expenses (such as lodging, meals, transportation and registration, which are non-taxable reimbursements), and can also be used to cover extra childcare expenses incurred because of the travel (a taxable reimbursement).

Eligibility: All tenured and tenure-track faculty members (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and Instructor) and emeritus faculty are eligible. Senior Lecturers and Distinguished Senior Lecturers with at least five years of service at UT Austin are also eligible. Visiting, adjunct, research and clinical faculty, specialists, lecturers, classified personnel, and other non-teaching staff are ineligible.


1.6 Request for Travel Reimbursement

Please note that travel reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than 30 days after your last approved travel date. You must have an approved RTA prior to travel in order to receive any reimbursements.

University employees are EXEMPT from Texas State hotel occupancy taxes when traveling for University business. The University cannot reimburse any Texas State occupancy taxes unless the hotel refuses to honor the exemption certificate (see above).

Meals are normally paid by meal allowance (per diem), currently $36 on state funds and $41 on local funds. No meal receipts are required to receive meal allowance. Please see the Dean's Office memo for a specific break down.

The University of Texas cannot reimburse a split bill (such as hotel) that does not have the UT payee's name; we will not accept private invoices for split bills--it is up to individual travelers to reconcile any private agreement.

Please include a copy of your itinerary, or let us know your flight departure and arrival times so we can make adjustments according to this policy. Unless told otherwise, default times will be based on your airfare receipt.

Upon return to Austin, original receipts must be turned in for reimbursement. You may note the expenses to be reimbursed via email or with your hard copy receipts as you choose. An easy reference organizational form is available courtesy of the Department of Economics, but is not required. Expenses that can be reimbursed include, but are not limited to:

  • Airfare (with original receipt clearly showing that payment was made)
  • Lodging (original hotel bills are required showing itemized room rate and taxes, and showing a zero balance)
  • Meals (at current per diem)
  • Registration fees
  • Parking fees
  • Cab/Bus/Train fares (receipts are not required [but recommended] if travel is within a city; receipts are required for travel between cities)
  • UT Business telephone calls and UT business internet service (reimbursed via the hotel bill)
  • Hotel occupancy taxes (reimbursed via the hotel bill)
  • Gasoline for personal car (if not claiming mileage reimbursement)



2.1 Departmental Course Planning

The Department of Slavic & Eurasian Studies and CREEES are determined to work with faculty and related departments to find the best possible teaching times and courses for both the student curriculum and professional development. 

The Course Scheduler regularly works on future semester 9 to 10 months ahead of the current semester. The period during which each phase is open varies. Original phases last approximately 4 weeks. Chair's Proof phases generally last only a few working days. The approximate schedule is below for your reference:

Course Scheduling Chart


2.2 Course Description Policy for Unnumbered Topics Courses

Most undergraduate course titles printed in the course schedule are unnumbered topic titles offered under a base topics course number. All undergraduate course titles must have an approved course description on file with the Dean's Office before they can be published in the course schedule. Course descriptions are course number and instructor specific and are valid for three years. Unnumbered topics courses taught by the same instructor require an updated course description every three years.

For more information, please see: Course Description Policy (PDF)

For a template of a course description request, download: Course Description Template (PDF) (Updated April 2011)


2.3 Flags

Courses designated by special flags ensure that all UT students acquire important skills required by the state curriculum. Flags are a great way to advertise your class and fill seats.  The guidelines are published by the School of Undergraduate Studies, and the application process is facilitated by an online proposal system.

Please be advised that in most cases the application window closes during the first period of any course scheduling phase, approximately 9 months prior to the beginning of the class. Reminders will be distributed regularly by the department, but the choice to apply rests with the faculty and Chair.


2.4 Textbooks

Course Requisitions

Course requisitions are maintained by the University Co-Op. In preparing for future semesters, you can submit your required and suggested textbooks through their website.

Desk Copies


2.5 Final Exam Scheduling and Course Instructor Surveys

A single form is available for faculty to report both their final exam requests and Course Instructor Survey preferences. The form is available here and will be distributed by Jenica Jones during the first few weeks of each semester.

Final exams

Based on your response to the Department's Final Exam Request, we will work with the Office of the Registrar to schedule your exam. If you do not respond to this request, no exam will be scheduled for your class. Do not request a general-purpose classroom if you only need a place for students to turn in papers; the Office of the Registrar cannot accommodate these quests due to the limited number of rooms available, so we must ask that the instructor's office or the departmental office be used for this purpose. Once final exams have been scheduled by the Registrar's Office, you can look up scheduled exams by unique number to see your final exam assignment.

The Index of Final Exams lists the general schedule of exams and can be used to project the final exam time for your syllabus.

Course Instructor Surveys (CIS)

The university requires that all organized classes be surveyed every semester, including summer, using an approved CIS form. You can choose to survey your classes electronically (students will receive a link to their surveys via email) or using the traditional paper surveys. Both paper and electronic surveys are administered during the last two weeks of class, before the final exam period and before any grades are reported for the semester.

Surveys are ordered by your departmental contact, Victor Martinez (512-471-7207; If you do not respond to this request, you will receive the default survey order for your class: paper basic survey forms.  Once your surveys have been ordered, you will receive a reminder to check your survey order on the MyCIS site; please take a moment to check your survey order to prevent any errors in your order.

Useful Links:


2.6 HB2504 and Syllabus Standards

We are required by House Bill 2504 to post a syllabus for every organized undergraduate course and a current CV for every faculty member teaching an undergraduate course by the 7th class day of each semester. Syllabi and CVs are due to departmental contacts no later than the 1st class day and should be directed to Jenica Jones.

View the syllabus policies to see what items are required to be included in the posted syllabi. CV requirements are available in the Provost's HB 2504 Implementation Policy. Submitted syllabi and CVs will be posted to the Access Syllabi and CV's site by the 7th class day.


2.7 Media Availability per Room

A number of resources are available regarding the media resources in classrooms across campus.

Need to know about courses available through other departments? Wondering when the final exam schedule will be published? Need to easily find your grade submission page? Looking for your class roster? All of this and more is available at the Office of the Registrar's website.



Invited Guest Speaker/Conference Form

Please notify the department well in advance of guest lecturer travel so that staff will be able to process the appropriate paperwork in order to arrange airfare, hotel, pay travel expenses or honorarium. Please use the form available here and forward information regarding contributions from any other departments who will provide funding for the guest lecturer.



4.1 Faculty Computer Support

The Liberal Arts desktop support team provides computer support for all faculty and staff in the College of Liberal Arts for your UT-owned equipment. Contact Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Support (LAITS) by email at or by phone at 512-471-5000, Monday-Friday, 7 am-7 pm.  


4.2 Business Cards

Business cards are available via UT Document Solutions. Please contact Agnes or Jenica for an account number to complete your purchase.


4.3 Liberal Arts Faculty Resources

The Liberal Arts Faculty Resource page highlights the resources available through the college. The Liberal Arts website has a wealth of useful, up-to-date information on a range of human resources and training topics, including promotion and tenure, faculty annual reports, and research. Commonly used forms are also available for your convenience.


4.4 Fellowships, Grants and Awards

Fellowships, grants and awards available to faculty through the University are listed, along with deadlines, in this pdf.


4.5 Family Friendly Policies

The University has numerous policies, services and resources to support our faculty and their families. Please consult the University's Family Matters webpage to find more information about childcare, hiring dual career couples, extension of the tenure-track probationary period, Family and Medical Leave, modified instructional duties (MID), sick leave, the Employee Assistance Program, the Employee Discount Program, off-camus housing, and many other family friendly initiatives.


4.6 University Policies

The Provost's Policy Forms page contains a comprehensive list of university policies by topic, as well as links to relevant forms. This is the best resource for all policy related questions or concerns, including handling scholastic dishonesty, scheduling final exams, searching a student's personal papers or belongings, sexual harassment, and observance of religious holy days.