Department of Spanish and Portuguese

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What course should I take if I already speak (some) Portuguese?

A: You need to take a placement test.

Q: How do I arrange to take the placement test in Portuguese? 

A: Contact Student Testing Services.

Q: Can I audit a Portuguese course?

A: No. The department does not allow auditors in Portuguese language classes. The only exception is made for UT faculty members, who must register as an official auditor.

Q: Can I take a course Pass/Fail?

A: If you take any Portuguese lower-division course on a Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit basis you will not be able to register for the next level course. The reason for this is that in order to satisfy the pre-requisite for a lower-division course, you must have earned a grade of C or better. A grade of P/F or C/NC does not guarantee that the student had at least a 73% in the course. 

Q: Which variety of Portuguese is taught at UT Austin?

A: Brazilian Portuguese.

Q: What is the difference between POR 601D and POR 610S?

A: POR 601D is a beginners’ course designed for non-Spanish speakers, while POR 610S is a beginners’ course designed for students who already speak Spanish. POR 610S is an accelerated course and corresponds to both POR 601D + POR 610D combined.

Q: How do I know if POR 610S is appropriate for me?

A: This course is designed for beginning-level students or students who have never studied Portuguese, and who are either heritage speakers of Portuguese OR fluent Spanish speakers (if you grew up speaking Spanish or can communicate fluently in Spanish). If you have any questions regarding placement, please speak with Liz Hastings or Daniel Zarazua, the Liberal Arts Advisors for Spanish & Portuguese, either in person (in BEN 2.108) or via email (;

Q: Is POR 610S taught in Spanish?

A: No. It is taught in the target language (Portuguese).

Q: Does the department offer Portuguese classes in the summer?

A: Portuguese language courses are currently not offered during the summer.

Q: What do I need to do in order to major or minor in Portuguese?

A: Please contact the department’s Undergraduate Advisors.

Q: I want to study in Brazil. Where can I get information on schools and/or financial aid?

A: Visit the Study Abroad website website for information about available programs and schedule an appointment as soon as possible with “Study Abroad in Brazil” advisors.