New Faculty Orientation
Important Things to Do upon Arrival to Campus
- Mandatory New Faculty Orientation - Please click the link on the page to register.
- Mandatory Employment Forms - Paycheck Profile, Directory Information, Ethics Statement, General University Compliance Form, Online Complice Modules.
- I-9 Verification - Must be completed within the first three days of employment. Can be done at the New Faculty Orientation or see Lisa Mailloux.
- Claiming the W-4 - Online form.
- Optional New Employee Orientation - Covers insurance and retirement options.
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID) - How to find or reset a UT EID.
- UT Austin Email Address - Sign up for a UT Austin email address with a UT EID.
- UT Identifcation Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Valid photo ID (ex. driver's license) required. Please be sure to request a "High Assurance" card so that you may access Benedict Hall and your office after hours if necessary. If given proximity access, by Lisa Mailloux, the UT ID will also serve as an electronic key for the BEN interior hallways and for the building after hours.
- Office Keys - Obtain a key letter from Lisa Mailloux and go to the Service Building (SER) with a UT ID card to get an office key.
- Telephone (Smart Voice) - Voicemail instructions. Lisa Mailloux will give faculty their office phone number.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - How to manage the factuly profile webpage. Upload a photo here.
- Parking - Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Austin Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
- Blackboard/Canvas - Department of Spanish and Portuguese Blackboard and Canvas. The University is transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas.
The Department's officies are located in Benedict Hall (BEN). The main office (2.116) hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Undergraduate Advising (2.108) hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Graduate student offices are on the 4th and 5th floors.
Main Office Phone: (512) 471-4936
Main Office Fax: (512) 471-8073
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 232-4506
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
150 West 21st Street, B3700
Austin, TX 78712-1086
Internal Campus Mail Code
Courses and Teaching
- CLIPS and Blackboard/Canvas - Online tools for managing classes.
- When creating course syllabi please be sure to refer to this checklist and this template to ensure that all necessary information is included.
- Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syallbi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Lisa Mailloux with questions.
- Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with a UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if needed. Please see front desk for the computer access code.
- Office Desktop Support - firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 471-5000
- Classroom Support (Liberal Arts) - (512) 471-9666
- General IT Support - (512) 475-9400
Safety and Health
- UT Austin Police Department - Call (512) 471-4441, or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - (512) 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides faculty, students, and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - (512) 471-3366
- Maintenance and Trouble Calls - (512) 471-2020
- UT Austin Child Development Center - UT Austin childcare services.
- Peter Koester - Senior Administrative Associate. email@example.com, (512) 471-8336, BEN 2.116.
- Lisa Mailloux - Executive Assistant / Course Scheduler. firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 232-4507, BEN 2.122.
- Liz Hastings - Academic Advising Coordinator. email@example.com, (512) 232-4506, BEN 2.108.
- Laura Rodriguez - Graduate Program Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 232-4502. BEN 2.128.
General Office Procedures
- Mail - The Department of Spanish and Portuguese main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed by staff and faculty with the appropriate keys. Mailing within the UT Austin campus is free, and the Department will pay for mailing to outside the University as long as the Department address is used as the return address.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has copiers located on each floor of Benedict Hall (BEN) for faculty, staff, and graduate student use. A fax machine is located in the main office (BEN 2.116).
- Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (ex. 1-4936); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 9+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (including the 1); to make an international call, dial 8+six-digit authorization code+#8011+number.
- Supplies - To order office supplies and equipment, please see Lisa Mailloux.
- Letterhead - Please visit the main office (BEN 2.116) for Departmental letterhead.
- Kitchen - For use by all Departmental faculty and staff.
- Custodial Services - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set bins in the hall outside offices. You can also call them to make specific, individual requests at 471-2020.
- Accounting and Travel - Faculty who have an account and would like to know their account number and/or balance can check it here. Before making an expense, check with Lisa Mailloux to comfirm reimbursement eligibility.
- Leave - Please see Lisa Mailloux if planning to take leave.
Faculty & Research
- New Faculty Orientation
- Faculty Publications
- Niyi Afolabi
- Arturo Arias
- Jason Borge
- Luis E. Carcamo-Huechante
- Héctor Dominguez-Ruvalcaba
- Vivian Flanzer
- Jane Johnson
- Orlando R. Kelm
- Dale Koike
- Delia L. Montesinos
- Melissa D. Murphy
- Chiyo Nishida
- Mina Ogando-Lavin
- Gabriela Polit
- Jill Robbins
- Cesar A Salgado
- Jossianna Arroyo-Martinez
- Naomi E. Lindstrom
- Sonia Roncador
- Cory A. Reed
- Kelly McDonough
- Sandro Sessarego
- Graduate Students
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Publications
- Graduate Dissertations
- Undergraduate Program
Courses in Spanish and Portuguese
- Language Program
- XXII Graduate Colloquium
- Luis Fellowship
- The Investiture of Professor Arturo Arias
- Fourth Texas Cervantes Symposium
- EDUARDO LALO at UT Austin Nov. 14-15
- Language contact and bilingualism
- Achy Obejas
- Prof Sandro Sessarego
- What the Entrepreneur Sees in Don Quixote
- Prof. Sandro Sessarego, specialist in Contact Linguistics, to join the faculty in Fall 2014.
- "Narrating Narcos" Book Presentation by Gabriela Polit
- The State of the Comedia Suelta: Celebrating the Texas Collections
- Pragda Fillm Festival
- prof. lindstrom appointed Gale Family
- colloquium: Racialized Geographies
- Don Quijote and the Mediterranean World
- Feature Archive
- Events & Seminars
- Giving to Spanish & Portuguese
- About & Resources
Spanish and Portuguese
The University of Texas at Austin
150 W. 21st Street, Stop B3700
Austin, TX 78712-1155
Advising & Registration: 512-232-4506/512-232-4503; Graduate Coordinator: 512-232-4502; Main Office & General Inquiries: 512-471-4936
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: