College of Liberal Arts

Internal Transfer to Liberal Arts

Internal Transfer Process

Current students at the University who want to transfer to the College of Liberal Arts, or add a major in the College, will generally follow the same procedure:

  1. The student will meet with a departmental advisor or attend an information session for the major they want to change into or add. See the following for information session dates.
  2. The department advisor will write a note in the student's record if they are approved to add the major.
  3. After gaining department approval, the student goes to the Dean's office in Gebauer (GEB) 2nd floor to complete the College Change Form.   

Restricted Majors

The procedure above only applies to non-restricted majors within the College as some majors within Liberal Arts require an application process. The exceptions to the internal transfer policy above are:


  • Students who have completed over 60 hours or 4 long semesters may transfer to most College of Liberal Arts majors. Students should meet with an academic advisor in the department/major they are interested in and the advisor will explain the process. However, students who have completed more than 60 hours or more than 4 long semesters in residence will need to submit an academic plan that demonstrates the student can still graduate in a timely manner. Students who cannot provide such a plan will need to submit an appeal explaining why they are changing majors.
  • Students who have applied for internal transfer to restricted colleges for the same semester they wish to transfer to Liberal Arts will not be allowed to submit the paperwork for Liberal Arts.
  • Students who have completed over 60 hours or 4 long semesters may NOT come into Liberal Arts as Undeclared.
  • New students will not be allowed to transfer in during their first semester. They can “propose” a major for the following semester, however.
  • There is no minimum GPA to transfer to the College of Liberal Arts. However, students must earn a minimum 2.0 GPA in their major and overall as part of their degree requirements for graduation. Students who transfer into the College of Liberal Arts on scholastic probation will be required to meet the College's scholastic probation policies in order to avoid dismissal.