College of Liberal Arts

Study Abroad with a Research Component

Study abroad programs provide a unique opportunity to explore another country and culture while conducting a research project. Many study abroad programs contain a research component so students may work with faculty on a project that is combined with their classes and the overall program structure. The possibilities for research abroad are endless and could range from examining ancient texts in libraries in Rome to studying tribal forestry management in Thailand. Students who are interested in research combined with a study abroad program should talk to a study abroad office advisor.

Types of Study Abroad Programs

Programs with UT Austin Faculty

Maymester (four weeks) or Faculty-Led Summer Program (six weeks)

Program timing works easily for most majors.

Take UT classes with UT professors and UT students.

Provides the most structured study abroad option.

No credit transfer necessary.

Exchange Programs

Usually lasts a semester or entire year, although there are some summer options.

Students have lots of independence, making a total immersion possible.

Often best for building advanced language proficiency.

Offers the most comprehensive course offerings.

Programs Affiliated with UT Austin

Usually lasts one semester or summer.

Programs vary; students may take classes with U.S., international or local students with a UT-approved program.

Assistance pursuing research, internships or volunteer opportunities offered by some programs.

Program options for all language levels.

International Study and Research (ISR)

Any student conducting independent research abroad or studying independently abroad is eligible for a special registration category - ISR: International Study and Research.

Students registered with ISR are considered UT Austin students, retaining access to UT Austin resources and offices; however, these students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional loans or grants processed by the UT Office of Student Financial Services. ISR students do not earn credit. Enrollment requires the approval of the student’s faculty sponsor, graduate advisor (for graduate students) or department undergraduate advisor (for undergraduates), and the Study Abroad Office.