College of Liberal Arts

COVID-19 Updates



All CoLA advising will be done online until further notice. Please contact your advisor with any questions.

Deadlines and Grading

Students will be given until Friday, May 29, one week after final grades are submitted, to Q-drop a course, to withdraw with a W from the university, or to change a course to Pass/Fail, overriding existing deadlines for Spring 2020.

Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit: For all courses* offered in Spring 2020, students will be given until after final grades are submitted, Friday, May 29, to change a course to Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit. Students may change to Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit as many times as needed this semester. For courses taken in Spring 2020, all UT policies requiring letter grades in undergraduate courses will be waived. This includes prerequisites, degree requirements, core, flags and internal transfers. In graduate-level courses, some policies will remain in effect because of historical differences from university standards. Graduate students are encouraged to consult with their college or program.

*One exception: A college may require courses to be taken for a grade if they are required to be taken for a grade for professional accreditation. Again, students must consult with an advisor prior to making changes.

Q-drops: Please note that all Q-drops for Spring 2020 will be treated as “substantive, non-academic course drops,” which means that they will not count against the maximum of six allowed Qs. The deadline to Q-drop is now Friday, May 29.

Consequences of a Registration Change (Q-Drop, Withdrawal, or Pass/Fail)

If any of the following apply to you, please be sure to connect with the appropriate contact before requesting a registration change.

  • if you are a recipient of financial aid, scholarships, or fellowships, consult with Texas One Stop
  • if you are an international student, consult with Texas Global (on visa and immigration matters)
  • if you are not sure how making a change will affect your timeline to degree completion, consult your Academic Advisor
    • of particular importance to students planning to graduate in spring 2020 or summer 2020
  • if you are not sure how making a change will affect your eligibility to earn honors distinctions, consult your Academic Advisor
  • if you are a recipient of Veteran’s Benefits, consult with Student Veteran Services
  • professional certification (appropriate contact varies based on each student’s situation)
  • employment eligibility (appropriate contact varies based on each student’s situation)
  • if you are planning to attend graduate or professional school, consult with the Health Professions Office (pre-health) or Liberal Arts Career Services (law, grad)
  • if you are an athlete, check with your Academic Coordinator regarding athletic eligibility

Advising: Students are urged to consult with their academic advisor and investigate alternatives and consequences before requesting a change to their spring registration.

To submit a registration change request click here, log in with your EID and password and complete the online form.