College of Liberal Arts


Changing a class to/from pass/fail may be done either during the initial registration period or once the semester is in progress.

During the first twelve class days (or first four class days in the summer) the status may be changed through the online registration system.

After this period, you must visit the Liberal Arts Dean’s Office (GEB 2.200) to complete the change. The deadline for changing the status of a class to pass/fail or from pass/fail to a letter grade is the mid-semester deadline. Graduating seniors may be required to meet with an advisor before making a pass/fail change.

To be eligible to change a course to pass/fail, you must have completed at least 30 hours. In addition, you must acknowledge the following terms for taking courses pass/fail:

  • Only electives may be taken on a pass/fail basis. No course required for the degree (i.e.: science, foreign language, etc.) may be taken pass/fail.
  • No more than two courses per semester may be taken on a pass/fail basis.

  • A maximum of 16 hours total may be taken pass/fail for degree credit.
  • If a class is taken pass/fail and a grade of F is assigned, the F will be averaged into the GPA. For grades of D- or higher, credit (CR) will be awarded and will have no impact on the GPA.
  • Some courses must be taken for a letter grade; others must be taken on the pass/fail basis. These requirements are given in the Course Schedule. If registration in a course is not restricted to a specific grading basis, the student may choose to register either for a letter grade or for credit.
  • The basis of registration for a course may be changed only once.