Great Basin Institute / Nevada Conservation Corps, Nevada Conservation Corps AmeriCorps Crew Leader, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 8751
Mon, August 4, 2014
Explore this position and the application instructions via your BTT Gateway account, Job ID 8751
Description: Challenge yourself as a leader of a 5-person crew while conducting critical conservation work in some of the Southwest’s most beautiful areas. Participate in our Fall program based out of Reno, NV or year-round program out of Las Vegas, NV. Serve from the mountains of Nevada to the vast landscapes of the Great Basin and Mohave Deserts. The NCC is looking for experienced Crew Leaders to tackle day-to-day responsibilities of crew life. Long-term and seasonal openings are available.
You will lead four AmeriCorps Crew Members while building trail, running chainsaws, or performing other restoration projects on public lands in some of Nevada’s most beautiful locales. You will coordinate with agency partners and collaborate with peers to see that project goals are accomplished safely and efficiently. Based on your specific project you will be camped in the field with your crew on either 4-day or 8-day "tours" often in primitive and remote locations and will responsible for facilitating a healthy and cohesive community within your crew.
Different than any other professional experience you could imagine, being a Crew Leader with the NCC is a full-time commitment where you will always be a resource to the members serving with you both while on service project sites or back at camp after a long day. Both preparing for and leading a crew requires unwavering dedication, and a willingness to put the needs of others first. Successful applicants will demonstrate dependability, excellent judgment, and high standards. We are looking for individuals who will lead by example and be a role model for the members who join our program. Though this position is challenging, the rewards are abundant and the bonds forged with your crew, peers and with the outdoors will last a lifetime.
• Living Allowance: 450-hour = $4,000 900-hour = $8,000
• AmeriCorps Education Award*: 450-hour = $1,468 900-hour = $2,775
• Student Loan Forbearance**
• Paid Interest Accrual**
• Daily field per diem
• Health Insurance Option on 900-hour contract
* AmeriCorps Education Award may be used for past, present or future educational expenses.
** On qualifying federal student loans
Schedule & Location:
450-hour = August 25, 2014 — November 24, 2014
900-hour = August 25, 2014 – February 26, 2015
NCC crews have a changing schedule typically working 10 hour days (7:00 AM to 5:30 PM); Member could be on a 4/3 (4 days on; 3 days off) or an 8/6 (8 days on ; 6 days off). Crew Leaders must be present for Crew Member orientation from Tuesday, September 2 – Friday, September 5, 2014.
450-hour Crew Leaders will serve based out of the Reno, NV office. 900-hour Crew Leaders will serve based out of the Las Vegas, NV field station.
Supervisor(s): NCC Staff (NCC Program Director, NCC Associate Program Director, Crew Coordinator and Training and Education Coordinator)
Projects May Include: Trail building and maintenance, exotic species removal, forest thinning, habitat restoration, riparian and desert rehabilitation, fence building, erosion control, fire rehabilitation, and illegal road decommissioning.
• Exemplify strong work ethic, professionalism, and sound judgment
• Lead young adults on a variety of challenging conservation projects
• Understand and abide by all NCC policies and procedures; ensure all safety protocols followed
• Maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times; be able to boost crew morale
• Effectively communicate with NCC staff, partnering agencies, peers, and crew members
• Coordinate project logistics with agency partners, Crew Coordinator, and peers
• Work alongside members to complete project goals
• Provide clear and consistent feedback to crew members
• Teach, instruct and support members in trail building, chainsaw use, and other project/NCC specific tasks
• Engage members in an active crew life
• Facilitate weekly crew meetings and debriefs
• Transport crew and equipment safely in NCC trucks
• Manage and maintain crew gear, tools and other various NCC/agency equipment
• Complete weekly reporting of accomplishments
• Uphold NCC and AmeriCorps standards of work production and quality
• Support and manage crew meal planning
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• US Citizenship or Permanent Legal Residency
• At least 18 years of age
• Must pass a 3-part background check (Federal, State, and National Sex Offender Public Registry name check); ANY past criminal convictions must be disclosed
• Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards)
• Clean driving record (must qualify to drive GBI Vehicles)
• Current driver’s license
• High School diploma or GED certificate
• Eligible to receive an AmeriCorps education award
• Physical ability to work long days, in adverse conditions, on labor intensive projects
• Effective communication skills
• Ability to adapt to changing project and schedule expectations
• Previous leadership experience with youth or young adults
• Experience working with a Conservation or Youth Corps
• Camping/backpacking experience
• Experience constructing recreational trails; chainsaw operating experience
• Familiarity with basic conservation skills including tool maintenance
• Receptive to feedback; able to communicate challenges
• Ability to create and facilitate a positive experience for crew