Master of Arts in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies
Applicants to the Master of Arts degree program in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies must meet the minimum requirements for graduate study at The University of Texas at Austin:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or proof of equivalent training in a foreign institution;
- A grade point average of at least 3.00 in upper-division (junior- and senior-level) coursework and in any graduate work already completed;
- An official score on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) general exam or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for international applicants;
- Adequate subject preparation for the proposed major. Evidence of adequate preparation varies by program, but examples include letters of reference, auditions, samples of work, and personal statements; and
- A recommendation for acceptance by the Graduate Studies Committee for the proposed major area.
Prospective students are encouraged to create a profile using My Grad School. The profile allows prospective students to access the following items:
- Receive information from MALS
- Schedule a visit
- Review admissions statistics about graduate programs at UT Austin
- Check the status of an application for admission after submission
- Change the address on file with UT Austin
- Update profile information
An admissions committee composed of faculty members serving on the Graduate Studies Committee in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies evaluates all complete applications, giving preference to candidates who demonstrate a strong academic background and in their statement of purpose articulate a very clear sense of their goals and preparation for the program and areas of interest in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies.The Master of Arts degree program in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies admits students for the fall semester only—the application deadline is December 5, 2016.
All application materials must be submitted online by the application deadline. Please visit the Graduate School's Applying for Graduate Admissions website for more details. We strongly discourage the submission of paper documents in support of an application. The graduate major code for Mexican American and Latina/o Studies is 667000.
- Electronic Application (available from the ApplyTexas website);
- Official GRE Scores or TOEL or IELTS Scores (submitted directly by the testing agency);
- Statement of Purpose (uploaded by the applicant);
- Curriculum Vitae or Résumé (uploaded by the applicant);
- Copy of Official College/University Transcripts (uploaded by the applicant); and
- Three Letters of Recommendation (letters must be submitted directly by the recommender).
All three letters of recommendation must be submitted online. Applicants must enter the names, e-mail addresses, and titles of the recommenders. Once the application is submitted, an e-mail sent to the recommenders with instructions and a secure link to the letter of recommendation website.
Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed. It is up to each applicant to visit the MyStatus website to verify receipt of application materials and to ensure that all required materials are submitted by the application deadline.
Prospective applicants to the Master of Arts degree program in Mexican American and Latina/o Studies should contact Natasha Saldaña, MALS Senior Academic Coordinator, at (512) 471-2134 or firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions they might have about the admissions process.
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download from Adobe's website.
- About & Resources
- Faculty & Research
- Graduate Program
- Undergraduate Program
- Courses in MALS
- Study Abroad
- Events & Seminars
- Alumni & Giving
The Department of Mexican American and Latina/o Studies
The University of Texas at Austin
210 W. 24th Street | Mailcode F9200
Austin, TX 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: