Writing Austin's Lives: a community portrait
In the spring of 2003, the Humanities Institute put out the call for Austin residents to share their stories about life in Central Texas. Out of the over 800 short personal narratives submitted in English and Spanish, 127 were selected for publication in the award-winning anthology Writing Austin's Lives: a community portrait.
More information about the "Writing Austin's Lives" project behind the book as well as excerpts and a history are available in the programs section.
Where to Purchase
Writing Austin's Lives is available in softcover ($17.95) and hardcover ($26.95) editions (prices do not include tax or shipping).
There are now three ways to buy a copy of Writing Austin's Lives:
- Order online through the Austin History Center.
- Order through the mail by sending a check or money order to:
Writing Austin's Lives Book Orders
PO Box 2287
Austin, TX 78768
For a softcover book, send a check or money order for $22.28 ($17.95 purchase price + $1.52 tax + $2.81 shipping and postage); for a hardcover book, send a check or money order for $32.02 ($26.95 purchase price + $2.26 tax + $2.81 shipping and postage). Call (512) 974-7499 (AHCA) with questions about mail-in book orders.
- Buy it in person—from any of the many local retailers now selling Writing Austin's Lives, including the Austin History Center (810 Guadalupe Street), Bookpeople (6th and Lamar), Bookwoman, Barnes and Noble, and Borders Books and Music. Writing Austin's Lives can also be found in every branch of the Austin Public Library.
- About Us
- Ho China Studies Lecture
- Cline Professorship
- Community Sabbatical Research Leave
- Controversy and Conversation
- Democracy & Community Action Reading Group
- Difficult Dialogues
- Distinguished Lecture Series
- Faculty Fellows Seminar
- Free Minds Project
- Medical Humanities Initiatives
- Faculty Affiliates
- Friends and Partners
- Opportunities and Resources
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: