Application and Admission Information
The Department of Asian Studies admits students for the Fall semester only.
All elements of an application are taken into consideration when evaluating a student's application for admission. Considerable weight is given to the statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and writing samples. Applicants whose files were complete by the application deadline (both departmental requirements and Graduate and International Admissions Center requirements) will receive notification of admissions decisions, usually around the beginning of March.
Questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Fall 2017 Admissions
The online application is expected to open on August 16. The application deadline for Fall 2017 admissions will be December 15, 2016. All required application materials must be received by the deadline. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered. It is strongly recommended that you submit your online application at least one month prior to the deadline to allow your recommenders sufficient time to upload their letters.
The following items are required and should be submitted online:
- Online application to UT Austin
- Department of Asian Studies Supplemental Information Form
- GRE scores.
See http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/test_scores.html for information about GRE test scores.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores (international students only).
See http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/test_scores.html for information about TOEFL/IELTS test scores.
See http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/pdf/transcript-upload.pdf for transcript upload instructions.
- Statement of Purpose. http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/asianstudies/graduate-programs/resources/statement-guidelines.php for guidelines.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Letters from tenure-track faculty are preferred.
- Writing sample(s).You may submit either one long (20 page) writing sample or two shorter (5-10 page) writing samples. The majority of the samples should be in English (with the exceptions of souces and cited works). Two shorter samples is preferred.
- CV or resume.
For more information about how to apply and upload documents, please see http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtoapply.html.
Information about the admissions process will be posted on the Asian Studies Graduate Program blog under the cateogory labeled "Admissions".
Applying to dual degree Masters programs
To be considered for admission to a dual degree program, applicants must submit all required materials to both graduate programs and the University's Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC). Please refer to the LBJ School and the McCombs School of Business for information about their degrees and application requirements.
IMPORTANT: You may submit one Statement of Purpose for both programs. If you wish to submit a separate Statement of Purpose for each program, please contact the Admissions office directly for assistance. You must submit each program's required materials by its application deadline.
Campus visits are encouraged!
Students who are interested in or have applied to the Department of Asian Studies graduate program are encouraged to visit UT. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or to set up an appointment. Tours of the UT campus may be arranged through the University Visitor Center.
11/25/14 Blog post about test scores
- Graduate Advisor: Dr. Donald Davis
- Graduate Coordinator: Abby Black
- PhD Alumni
- Graduate Catalog
- Prospective Student information from the Graduate and International Admissions Center
- Graduate Admissions HELP for transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, uploading documents, and residency
- The Graduate School
- My Status
- Center for East Asian Studies
- South Asia Institute
- Faculty & Research
- Languages in Asian Studies
- ANS MA
- ACL MA/PhD
- ACL Ph.D.
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Programs
- Courses in Asian Studies
- Events & Seminars
- Alumni & Giving
- Contact & About
- Forms And Links
- Tutors and Translators
Department of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin
120 Inner Campus Dr Stop G9300
Austin, Texas 78712-1251
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: