Department of Asian Studies
Department of Asian Studies

Minors and Certificates Available through the Department of Asian Studies

Applicable to students under the 2016-2018 Undergraduate Catalog

The transcript-recognized minor must be completed in conjunction with an undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin.

A minimum of 8 hours must be completed in residence


Minor: Asian Religions

R  S 310, Introduction to the Study of Religion, ANS 301R, History of Religions of Asia, and nine additional hours, including six upper-division, from the list below:

ANS 301M, Introduction to Buddhism

ANS 340, History of Hindu Religious Traditions

ANS 340, Religion and Rebellion in Modern East Asia

ANS 340, Goddesses in World Religions and Cultures

ANS 340, Sufism and Islamic Mysticism

ANS 340, Ritual and Religion in Korea

ANS 340, Introduction to Comparative Religion

ANS 372, Indian Philosophies

ANS 372, Buddhist Art

ANS 372, Japanese Concepts of Body and Self

ANS 372, Religion and Family in Japanese Society


Minor: Chinese

CHI 606 and CHI 607 (or CHI 604)

CHI 312K and CHI 312L (or CHI 612)

Three hours upper-division Chinese


Minor: Korean

KOR 606 and KOR 607 (or KOR 604)

KOR 312K and KOR 312L (or KOR 612)

Three hours upper-division Korean


Certificate: Japanese

A minimum of twelve hours must be completed in residence.

JPN 601D, JPN 610D, and JPN 611D

JPN 317C

Three hours upper-division Japanese


Minor Requirements for Asian Studies/Asian Cultures and Languages Majors: 2010-2012, 2012-2014, 2014-2016 Catalogs

Twelve hours of coursework in any other field of study,  including six hours of upper-division coursework and at least six hours in residence.


Nine hours beyond 507 (including three upper-division) in a second foreign language (i.e., a language other than the one used for the Liberal Arts foreign language requirement)

Minors under these catalogs do not appear on the transcript.

Minor Requirements for Students in Other Colleges and Under Catalogs prior to 2016-2018:

Requirements and options for minors vary widely among colleges and majors at the University. Students should refer to the degree plan for their major to see if it requires a minor. The academic advisor for the Department of Asian Studies is available to discuss appropriate course choices with you, but it is best to check with the advisor in your major to clarify the exact requirements for a minor