The Economics Department

Current UT Student Internal Transfer

UT students need to submit an application to the Economics Department by stated deadlines and meet eligibility requirements in order to declare an Economics major.

The application for spring admission is open through December 1. Apply here!                                                       


To be eligible for internal transfer into the Economics major you must meet the following criteria:

1. Attend an Internal Transfer Info Session. Deadline to attend an info session in order to be eligible for Spring 2020 admission is December 2, 2019.

2. Complete the following courses with a grade of at least C minus in each:

  • ECO 304K & ECO 304L
  • M 408K & M 408L (or M408C and M408D, or M408N and M408S)


  • Fall admission: May 1
  • Spring admission: December 1 

Fall Info Sessions:

  • Date: Monday August 26 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm Room: BRB 1.118
  • Date: Wednesday September 4 Time: 5:30-6:30 Room: BRB 2.136
  • Date: Friday September 20 Time: 10:00am-11:00am Room:  BRB 1.120
  • Date: Wednesday October 2 Time: 2:30pm-3:30pm Room:  BRB 1.120
  • Date: Monday October 14 Time:  2:00pm-3:00pm Room: BRB 2.136
  • Date: Tuesday October 22 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm Room: BRB 1.118
  • Date: Monday October 28 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm Room:  BRB 1.118
  • Date: Tuesday November 5 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm Room: BRB 1.118 
  • Date: Thursday November 21 Time: 1:00pm-2:00pmRoom:  BRB 1.120 
  • Date: Monday December 2 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm Room:  BRB 1.118
Note: Deadline to attend an info session in order to be eligible for Spring 2020 admission is December 2, 2019.


Is admission to the Economics major competitive? Is there a GPA cut-off? No, currently there is no GPA requirement and approval is not on a competitive basis. Our goal is to accept all students who want Economics as their major as long as they have demonstrated basic competencies in economics and math by successfully completing the prerequisite coursework with a grade of at least C minus in each course. 

Do I need to take the required prerequisite classes in-residence? No, transfer credit and credit-by-exam credit are accepted. All required courses must be posted with final grades (or “CR” in the case of credit-by-exam) by the stated deadline in order for your application to be considered.

If I am currently taking the required courses can I submit an application? Yes, we will wait until after grades are posted to process it. Please be aware that students that are concurrently taking coursework at a community college may not be able to get their credit posted on their UT record by the stated deadline. This means you will not be able to declare Economics. You can still take Eco 329 as long as you meet the pre-requisites and you can reapply the next semester.  If you are taking prerequisite courses over the summer, you must apply the following Fall semester.

Do I need to meet a minimum number of credit hours completed in-residence to apply? No, you may apply during your first semester. The major declaration will become official the following semester.

Is there a maximum number of hours taken or semesters completed to be eligible to apply? No. 

I have business calculus (M403K & M403L). Will that meet the calculus requirement to apply? No, business calculus does not meet the calculus requirement for the major. You must have one of the stated standard calculus sequences (or equivalent) in order to apply.

I have met the course requirements and have submitted my application. When will I be declared? Applications for students who have met course requirements will be processed after grades are posted that semester. You will be notified via Secure Academic Note when your application has been processed.

I need to declare the major now in order to graduate on time! We definitely want to support your efforts to graduate on time! Non-majors may register for restricted upper division Economics courses starting on the first class day of the semester provided stated prerequisites are met and if seats are available. Visit our office for registration assistance. However, you will need to follow the stated internal transfer process and deadlines to officially declare the major.

I still have questions. Can I talk to an advisor? If you still have questions about the major or the application process, please attend one of our information sessions. Information sessions are REQUIRED for declaring the major AND you must attend one if you would like to schedule an appointment with an advisor before declaring. For any other questions please contact: