BA in Italian
B. A. Degree Requirements in Italian
- Italian Studies Major (2020-2022 Catalog)
The Italian Studies Major consists of twenty-four semester hours of upper-division coursework in Italian, including:
- Italian (ITL) 320 “Advanced Italian”
- Three hours in ITL courses chosen from:
- ITL 321 “Introduction to Italian Literature”
- or ITL 325C “Italian Through Cinema”
- or ITL 328 “Composition and Conversation”
- Three hours in Italian Civilization (ITC)
- Fifteen hours in additional ITL upper-division. Up to three hours of ITC may be counted for three hours of additional ITL upper-division. Up to three hours of Liberal Arts (LA) 320 may be counted for three hours of additional ITC.
- Italian Studies Major (2018-2020 Catalog)
The Italian Studies Major consists of twenty-four semester hours of upper-division coursework, including:
- ITL 320
- Three hours chosen from:
- ITL 321
- ITL 325C
- or ITL 328
- Twelve hours of upper-division ITL coursework
- Three hours of ITC coursework
- Three upper-division hours chosen from:
- upper-division ITL
- or LA 321J “Italian Studies Internship”
- Italian Major (2016-2018 Catalog and prior)
Twenty-four semester hours of upper-division coursework in Italian, including:
- ITL 328
- ITL 329
- ITL 321
- 15 additional hours of upper division ITL coursework
- Six hours of ITC may be counted towards the major
- Accordion 4Panel 4. Add body text in this space.
- Accordion 5Panel 5. Add body text in this space.
Required Minor for Italian Majors
Nearly all Liberal Arts majors require a minor. Regardless of your catalog, you must see your major advisor to declare a minor. Only one minor per major is permitted.
Minor - 2016-2018 and later catalogs
For students starting in Fall 2016 and later. Completion of 15-21 hours of prescribed coursework in a different field of study than the major is required. A complete list of approved minors, requirements, and instructions on how to declare can be found online. Some minors are restricted and may require an application. A transcript-recognized certificate may also satisfy this requirement.
Minor - 2014-2016 and earlier catalogs
(1) twelve semester hours, including at least six hours of upper-division coursework, in any one other field of study in the University;
(2) A complete foreign language sequence not used for the foreign language requirement. Must include 9 hours total, 6 hours in residence, and 3 hours upper-division.
Back to top.
Why Study Italian?
🇮🇹🌍 Why study Italian? Check out this video and explore course offerings in the department here: FRIT Courses