Beginning with the 2016-2018 Undergraduate Catalog, we offer a transcript-recognized minor in history. The minor must be completed in conjunction with an undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin and is automatically approved for any student who applies. You can declare the minors through the Registrar's online minor and certificate application system. Minors for students following catalogs prior to 2016-2018 are not transcript-recognized and the requirements will vary according to a student’s degree plan. Students in earlier undergraduate catalogs should refer to their assigned academic advisor to review their options for minoring.
Why a minor in history?
- Improve your research, reading, analytical, and writing skills.
- Study and understand the past and how it affects our present and future.
- Excellent for Law school preparation or any career path.
The history minor:
- 15 hours of history coursework including:
- at least 6 hours of upper-division
- at least 9 hours in residence at UT-Austin
The minor will appear on your transcript upon graduation.
What’s the Next Step?
- Apply for the minor online. If you have trouble, you can ask your assigned academic advisor to help you apply.
- Once you have applied, notify your assigned academic advisor so that they can update your degree profile.
- Start taking history courses! (1 or 2 per semester is good)
- Contact the History Advising Office if you have questions:
- Garrison Hall 1.140, 512-471-7670, email@example.com