skip to contentThe University of Texas at Austin


The Sociology Department works with Liberal Arts Centralized Business Services Group 1 (CBS 1). All forms and up-to-date information can be found on the CBS website.

When using DocuSign PowerForms, be sure to use your EID email address so you can find your form later, e.g., Completed and signed Purchasing Exception Request forms, Travel Reimbursement Exception Request forms and late TAR memos should be forwarded to CBS for processing.

Entertainment Expense Reimbursements

For entertainment expense reimbursements, reimbursee must complete the COLA online Official Occasion Expense Form/OOEF. Fill out the required fields (see page 2 of the prior paper form for instructions), attach the receipts, certify, and click "Submit." The form will be routed for further processing.

Please refer to the COLA OOE Policy and best practices. The list below is not meant to be exhaustive but to highlight some of the most common questions and issues regarding entertainment policy.

  • Entertainment expenses are limited to $100/person (including tax and gratuity) for an event/meeting. Texas sales tax is not reimbursable unless for dining at an establishment. The Tax Exemption Certificate is available here. Present the certificate to the vendor for University related expenses to claim the exemption.

  • Expenses for alcohol may not be the primary expenditure - that is, it must be less than the total food expense. Alcohol is not reimbursable for meetings conducted during breakfast or lunch and at any time when only university employees are in attendance.

  • Tips/gratuity should be no more than 20% before tax and service/delivery fees.

  • Reimbursee must submit an itemized receipt and a receipt showing proof of payment (if this does not already appear on the itemized receipt).

  • Parking is reimbursable with receipts but counts toward the per-person limit. Transportation is not reimbursable.

  • The limit of UT affiliates at a sit-down meal with guests is 3 UT affiliates per guest. If there are 10 or fewer people in attendance, please provide the name, title, and affiliation of each person.

  • If an itemized receipt or proof of payment is not available, the payee must sign a memo explaining why such is not available and the document creator should include it with the voucher paperwork. This should be mentioned in the document notes.

  • Reimbursements must be processed within 45 days of the official occasion.

  • Only current UT employees can be reimbursed for entertainment expenses. Reimbursements for meals are not permitted for companions of university employees, unless it is for a development-related event and the donor/distinguished guest also brings a companion.

  • Food may not be routinely (more than 1-2 times per semester) purchased for organized classes.

  • Generally only accounts that begin with "30-" (local funds) can be used for entertainment. "14-" and "20-" accounts (state funds) cannot be used for entertainment.