The Portuguese Major (20/22 catalog and later)
In addition to the Core and Liberal Arts area requirements, a major in Portuguese requires 27 upper division hours of coursework, 3 hours of which must contain Luso-Brazilian content. This concentration requires 15 hours of upper division grammar, literature, and civilization in each language. In order to take upper division courses in our department, students must complete the final two courses in the lower division sequence, which can be taken concurrently: POR 311C and POR 314C; or POR 311J and POR 314J (or one of the following in transfer: POR 611D; POR 611S; or POR 312L in transfer). Prerequisites are strictly enforced to move into upper division courses. For inquiries about the major, please email SPN-POR-Advising@austin.utexas.edu
The Portuguese major consists of 27 semester hours of upper division coursework including:
- Three semester hours of advanced grammar and writing: POR 327C, Advanced Grammar and Writing in Context(3 credits)
- One introductory course in language and linguistics in society: POR 330L, Introduction to Language and Linguistics in Society (3 credits)
- One introductory course in literatures and cultures: POR 328C, Introduction to Literatures and Cultures (3 credits)
- One upper-division course in SPN or SPC (Topics in Iberian or Latin American Studies, taught in English) (3 credits)
- Fifteen additional semester hours of coursework in upper-division Portuguese (15 credits).
The Iberian and Latin American Languages and Cultures major (18/20 catalog and prior)
Until the expiration of the 2018/2020 catalog, the Undergraduate Program in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese will also offer a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts with a major in Iberian and Latin American Languges and Cultures (ILA). Students persuing this major have the option to take courses in Spanish or Portuguese, or they may take courses in both Spanish and Portuguese.
The major consists of 27 semester hours of upper division coursework including:
- SPN or POR 327C, Advanced Grammar and Writing in Context
- SPN or POR 328C, Introduction to Literatures and Cultures
- SPN or POR 330L, Introduction to Language and Linguistics in Society
- One Capstone Seminar (3 semester hours). Only one Capstone will count.
- SPN 379C, Capstone Seminar in Literatures and Cultures
- SPN 379L, Capstone Seminar in Linguistics
- POR 379C, Capstone Seminar in Literatures and Cultures
- POR 379L, Capstone Seminar in Linguistics
In addition, students will take 15 additional semester hours of Spanish or Portuguese course work.
- 3 hours of the 27 must be taken in POR or PRC (Portuguese Civilization taught in English) if the majority of the courses are taken in Spanish, or SPN or SPC (Spanish Civilization) if the majority of the courses are taken in Portuguese.
For degree plans from earlier catalogs and sample four-year plans, click here.