Job & Internship Search
Internships vs. Jobs
An internship is a temporary role at a company obtained by students in order to build skills, make connections and test out an industry. A full-time job is a permanent position that students obtain after graduating from UT. Students also seek part-time jobs while in school to make money and gain skills.
- Consider what you want in an internship or job
- Focus on a specific city, industry and role to make the search less overwhelming
- Identify keywords to use in search engines
- Not sure what job type or career path might be appropriate for you? Use our career research tools to explore job titles, companies, industries and career paths
- Search for opportunities that match your needs
- Now that you have a better idea of what you’re looking for, here are some of our search tools to help
- Let these tools do some of the work for you. Many of the job boards on our search tools page will send you alerts when a job matching your criteria is posted
- Go directly to company and non-profit websites. Find their "careers" or "jobs" tab
- Prepare your materials
- Use the job description and list of qualifications in the job posting to customize your resume and cover letter each time you apply for something new
- Need help preparing your resume or cover letter? Start by checking out our resume and cover letter samples and templates
- Once you have a rough draft, have your materials reviewed by a career coach
- Be sure to follow the application instructions precisely
- Stay organized- keep a list of all the jobs to which you’ve applied. You’ll want to be prepared when an organization follows up with you!
Congrats on lining up an interview! Use the organization’s website to research the organization, it's culture and the role thoroughly before your interview.
Learn interview types and strategies, and prepare responses to typical interview questions with the help of our interviewing page.
Where Students Intern
To read past internship experiences, follow this linkLearn More
Find more information about internship scholarships and application process.Learn More
Internship Course Credit
If you already secured an internship, you can apply to one of our courses to receive credit.Learn More