Department of Germanic Studies

Undergraduate Advising Office

Undergraduate Advising helps you:

  • explore Germanic Studies as a new major
  • with degree-planning for existing majors
  • discuss post-graduation plans
  • learn about Germanic Studies courses and faculty
  • navigate university policies and procedures


Fall 2020 Grade Policy

**Effective immediately:  Students may have until 5pm Wednesday, December 9th to use Q-Drops, which will be non-academic and not count against the 6 total limit allowable.

  • If you have questions about/are scheduling an advising appointment to discuss the University’s new academic policy changes for fall 2020 and spring 2021 semester related to pass/fail options, advisors are awaiting official communications on how these policies and any resulting implications will be implemented. Therefore, we cannot advise on the changes yet. Due to the Thanksgiving break, we don’t expect to have full and complete information to provide to students until at least the middle of next week. Accordingly, you may want to delay making contact/an appointment until then.
  • All Q-Drops, One Time Exceptions, Withdrawals, and Pass/Fail changes can be completed through the Student Division Advising Office for the College of Liberal Arts. If your major is in another college, you will need to consult with your major/college advisors to complete any changes.
  • Regarding pass/fail grading changes for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, as well as q-drops for Spring 2021, please see more information HERE.
  • Any student considering dropping a course or changing a course to Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit is recommended to consult with an academic advisor, graduate coordinator, athletics advisor, and/or financial aid advisor to understand the implications.
  • Implications include (but are not limited to):
    • time to completion;
    • honors and other awards;
    • financial aid, scholarships, and fellowships;
    • Veterans’ benefits;
    • professional certification e.g. CPAs;
    • degree accreditation requirements e.g. engineering;
    • visa status;
    • on-campus employment eligibility (undergraduates must maintain a 2.0 GPA and graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for on-campus employment);
    • graduate/professional school applications; and
    • athletic eligibility.


Spring 2021 initial registration has ended and will re-open in January prior to the first day of class. Check your Registration Information Sheet for your specific access period.


To declare a major or certificate in German, simply email the Undergraduate Academic Advisor.





Undergraduate Academic Advisor

(Please direct all general advising inquiries to the undergraduate academic advisor.)

Heather Peterson

  • Available to assist students with degree plans, course registration issues, academic and career goals, university policies and procedures, and campus resources.
  • BEN 2.108 (Office currently closed)

Advising Appointments

  • In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, academic advisors are currently working remotely.  
  • For Walk-In Advising (15-minute max Zoom session, no appointment necessary), please refer to the WALK-IN CALENDAR for availability.
  • Heather Peterson is available through Zoom (typically audio with shared screen) for long-term planning (45-minute session) by APPOINTMENT, Monday-Friday, 9am-12pm & 1pm-4pm.
  • Appointments are not scheduled via email.
  • Please leave specific questions in the comments section when making an appointment and make sure you receive a confirmation email including your Zoom meeting link.


Faculty Undergraduate Advisor

 Dr. K. Alex Fulk

  • Available to assist students with questions pertaining to course content, department faculty, or GER placement exams.
  • Please email him to schedule an appointment.




Helpful Links