History Department
History Department

Resources for Faculty

Itemized Reimbursements

The Office of Accounting requires reimbursements to be completely processed within 60 days of the event. Because of the time required for document processing, both within the department and in the Office of Accounting, requests for reimbursement should be submitted no later than 45 days after the event.

In order to receive a reimbursement you must provide:

  • Original itemized receipts
  • If reimbursement is for an entertainment expense, such as a dinner or food, you will also need to submit an Official Occasion Expense Form (fillable PDF). Reimbursements which include a meal for UT faculty spouses require additional justification and will be sent to the Provost's Office for approval or denial. When submitting OOEFs for entertainment expenses, please include a business justification for spousal attendance.
  • Please be sure to provide us with the details related to the funding sources for the reimbursement. If funding is from external sources, provide any contact information for contributors.

State Sales Tax

University of Texas employees are exempt from Texas sales tax if a purchase is made for University purposes. Faculty and staff are highly encouraged to utilize this. If you plan on making purchases that are taxable,  download and complete a copy of the Tax Exemption Certificate. Please present the certificate to the vendor for University related expenses (including entertainment) to claim the exemption. We cannot reimburse any Texas State sales tax for approved purchases on department funding.

Request for Travel Authorization

Prior approval for all business travel is required for absences from the campus (or other designated headquarters) for periods of half a day or more during the normal working period, whether or not there is a cost to the University.

A Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) must be filed with the department at least two weeks prior to your travel. Faculty who will be missing a class during their travel period must specify a professor who will be covering their classes. TAs are not authorized to cover your class. Please note on the RTA online form final exam dates, how they will be administered and plan for grade submission if travel occurs during UT's final exam period. For further information, consult the Travel Policies in the Handbook of Business Procedures and the COLA Policy for Travel.

Request for Travel Reimbursement

Please note that travel reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than 45 days after your last approved travel date. You must have an approved RTA prior to travel in order to receive any reimbursements.

University employees are EXEMPT from Texas State hotel occupancy taxes when traveling for University business. The University cannot reimburse any Texas State occupancy taxes unless the hotel refuses to honor the exemption certificate.

Meals are normally paid by meal allowance (per diem), currently $36 on state funds and $51 on local funds. No meal receipts are required to receive meal allowance.

The University of Texas cannot reimburse a split bill (such as hotel) that does not have the UT payee's name. We will not accept private invoices for split bills; it is up to individual travelers to reconcile any private agreement.

Please include a copy of your itinerary, or let us know your flight departure and arrival times so we can make adjustments according to this policy. Unless told otherwise, default times will be based on your airfare receipt.

Upon return to Austin, original receipts must be turned in for reimbursement. You may note the expenses to be reimbursed via email or with your hard copy receipts as you choose. An easy reference organizational form is available courtesy of the Department of Economics but is not required. Expenses that can be reimbursed include, but are not limited to:

  • Airfare (original receipt clearly showing that payment was made)
  • Lodging (original hotel bills are required showing itemized room rate and taxes, and showing a zero balance)
  • Meals (at current per diem - no receipts required)
  • Registration fees
  • Parking fees
  • Cab/Bus/Train fares (receipts recommended but not required for travel within the city; receipts are required for travel between cities)
  • Hotel Wi-Fi for business purposes
  • Hotel occupancy taxes (reimbursed via the hotel bill)
  • Gasoline for personal car (if not claiming mileage reimbursement)

A list of items for which receipts are required is available here.

Faculty Travel Grant

The purpose of the travel grant is to support presentation of the applicant's original research or creative effort. $1,200 is available yearly to tenured and tenured track faculty! Now available through online application! Check out the graduate school's web site for travel grants for details.

Please note that attending a meeting or chairing a session does not qualify nor does accepting an invitation to present a seminar or giving a colloquium at another university. Before beginning the application, be sure to gather:

  • your abstract (not exceeding one page in length) of the paper or presentation to be given, and
  • either a copy of the meeting program showing your name, paper or presentation topic, and date or a letter from the meeting organizer accepting your paper or presentation and confirming your part in the program.

Applications must be completed and submitted with your RTA form no later than two weeks before your scheduled trip.

Entertainment Expenses

Preapproved entertainment costs may be reimbursed by the department or by endowment holders' own accounts. These are considered "Official Occasions"; an "official occasion" is defined as a reception, luncheon, dinner, or similar event that is sponsored and funded by UT (e.g., conferences, meetings, planning retreats, staff meetings). These functions are normally associated with special programs or conferences, University guests, faculty and staff recruitment, or business meetings. To prevent a personal tax liability, you will need to document each occasion with receipts for expenses.

  • For reimbursement you must complete the department's Official Occasion Expense Form (fillable PDF).
  • Entertainment expenses are limited to $75/person for an event/meeting (including tax and gratuity). The limit is for both domestic and foreign destinations.
  • Tips/gratuity should be limited to no more than 20% of the subtotal, not including taxes.
  • Alcohol cannot be more than 49% of the subtotal amount listed on the receipt.
  • Faculty and staff must submit itemized receipts for reimbursement. They must also submit a receipt showing proof of payment (if this does not already appear on the itemized receipt). If an itemized receipt or proof of payment is not available, the payee must sign a memo explaining why such is not available. The memo should provide an itemized list of the order and the total amount paid.
  • Reimbursements must be processed within 60 days of the official occasion, please adhere to the department's 45 day rule to allow sufficient time for processing.

ProCard Form

ProCard Form (fillable PDF form)


Invited Guest Speaker/Conference Form (fillable PDF)

Please notify the department well in advance of guest lecturer travel so staff will be able to process the appropriate paperwork in order to arrange airfare, hotel, pay travel expenses or honorarium. Please use the form available here and forward information regarding contributions from any other departments who will provide funding for the guest lecturer. 

Leave, Fellowships, Grants, Awards

If you are applying for or have received an external fellowship, or are planning to be on leave for any reason, please see Janie Castillo-Flores for a leave request. 

Other funding resources:

Funding Requests

Fellowships, grants and awards available to faculty through the University are listed, along with deadlines, in the UT Faculty Fellowships PDF. To request funding from the Chair for co-sponsorships, invited speakers, travel or other events, submit the Funding Request form (fillable PDF) to Janie Castillo-Flores

Office Supplies

The University has a contract for office supplies with Today's Business Solutions – an Office Depot partner – which requires that all office supplies be purchased exclusively from them. You cannot receive reimbursement for office supplies purchased form personal funds. The Department place the order for basic office supplies. Please contact Eilis Keely to place your order for office supplies. You can use the online Office Depot catalog for product numbers when making requests so we can be sure to get exactly what you need. Please note that most department supplies – pens, paper, markers, official stationary, etc. – can be found in the copy room of the main office, GAR 1.104.

Computers, monitors, and printers must be purchased through the Department. All purchases must be cleared before purchase. Computers purchased on UT funds are UT property and must be tagged for inventory by Inventory staff, even if purchased with research grant funds. Reimbursements for purchases for computers and major office equipment are not allowed.

Faculty with ProCards can find a list of disallowed purchases and vendors in the ProCard Policies and Guidelines. Limited computer and computer-related purchases may be possible with a ProCard, but these must be cleared prior to purchase to ensure University policy compliance.


You can submit your required and suggested textbooks through the University Co-op website

Desk Copies

Your Teaching Assistants will need desk copies of text required for classes to which they are assigned; you may also need to replace outdated editions of textbooks. Please contact Eilis Keely as soon as you have placed your order with the Co-op and forward her the confirmation order so the office has complete information. Desk Copies will not be ordered without request and forwarded Co-op confirmations. We will contact publishers for desk copies on you behalf.

Faculty Computer Support

The Liberal Arts desktop support team provides computer support for all faculty and staff in the College of Liberal Arts for your UT owned equipment. Contact Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Support (LAITS) by email laits-help@utexas.edu or by phone at 512-471-5000, Monday-Friday, 7 am-7 pm.

Online Teaching: Ideas and Resources for Online Delivery

The History Department's dedicated page for information and guidance on moving courses online.

Liberal Arts Classroom Support

Social Media Post Request

We want to hear about the great work you're doing! Submit this simple form with news you would like the department to share on its social media platforms: https://utexas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a5VKjjH1xdjrzfL.

Business Cards

Business cards are available via UT Document Solutions. Please contact Vickie Kight to place business card orders.

Liberal Arts Faculty Resources

The Liberal Arts Faculty Resource page highlights the resources available through the college. The Liberal Arts website has a wealth of useful, up to date information on a range of human resources and training topics, including promotion and tenure, faculty annual reports, and research.

Liberal Arts Faculty Guide to Student Affairs

The Liberal Arts Faculty Guide to Student Affairs is available on this page.

Grade Changes & Grade Reporting

Information about grade changes can be found on the Registrar's grade changes web page.

  • Spring and summer grade changes and "X" incomplete to grades, must be submitted by the end of the fall semester.
  • Fall semester grade changes must be submitted by the end of the spring semester.  

Grade reporting information can also be found on the Registrar's grade reporting web page.

  • Grades are sent to the registrar through the Grade Submission System and are due by 10:00 a.m. on their due date. 

Standard Meeting Times

Fall and Spring (long semesters)

    •    MWF 8-9am, 9-10am, 10-11am, 11-12noon, 12-1pm, 1-2pm, 2-3pm, 3-4pm, 4-5pm
 (50 minutes with a ten-minute interval at the end of class)
    •    TTh 8-9:30am, 9:30-11am, 11-12:30pm, 12:30-2pm, 2-3:30pm, 3:30-5pm (75 minutes with a fifteen-minute interval at the end of class)

Summer (first, second, nine-week, and whole session)

    •    MTWThF 8:30-10am, 10-11:30am, 11:30-1pm, 1-2:30pm, 2:30-4pm
 (75 minutes with a fifteen-minute interval at the end of class)

Working with Teaching Assistants


General information about retirement (including information on Phased Retirement and Emeritus procedures), is available on the COLA website. Additional resources:

History Department Forms and Links