Linguistics | College of Liberal Arts
skip to content The University of Texas at Austin

Faculty and Post-Doc Travel Requests

Travel authorization requests and all related paperwork must be submitted and approved BEFORE you leave.  Please note that depending on your situation, you may need to submit several forms to complete the travel authorization process.  Classes should not be cancelled due to instructor travel.

Travel Authorization Requests

  • All official travel requires the submission of a travel authorization request (RTA).  Official travel means you will be engaging in work related to your position and/or you will receive a reimbursement for your expenses.
  • The Travel Authorization Form is here, under Expense Requests:
  • If you are being reimbursed by any UT account, you do not have to enter the account number, but you do need to provide a brief description of the account you’d like to use (e.g., start–up, overhead return, NSF, ELDP). If another institution or group is paying for your travel, select "No Cost to UT.
  • When the form is complete, select continue at the bottom of the page, then assign it to Linguistics Travel

International Travel

ALL employees are required by the UT System International Travel Policy (UTS 190) to register their university-related international travel (for research, teaching, conferences, meetings, lectures, etc.), regardless of destination, in the International Travel Registry (ITR) in order for the trip to be registered with On Call International.

Restricted Regions Requests

  • Travel to certain international locations requires additional approval.   If you are traveling to one of these restricted regions, you must submit a Restricted Region Travel Request by the due date listed on their site.  No late requests are allowed.
  • You cannot be reimbursed for travel to a Restricted Region unless you have received advance approval from the International Oversight Committee in the International Office for such travel.
  • Submit your request at least five weeks prior to departure
    • Restricted Regions List
  • Faculty/Staff Restricted Regions Request: 
    1. Please make sure you are using the updated version of the Restricted Regions request form
      •  Each traveler needs to complete the forms. This includes providing an in-depth justification for travel
    2. Send forms to Erica Alvarez to route for signatures, do not sign the forms.
    3. Traveler will receive a copy of the signed documents.
    4. Traveler will receive the IOC approval letter, send this letter to Erica Alvarez to move forward with the TAR.

Faculty Travel Grants

  • Faculty Travel Grants (FTG) require a separate application: Faculty Application Form
  • Eligible faculty may receive as much as $1,400 per academic year for travel expenses to present original papers at scholarly and professional meetings.  See details and eligibility information:
  • Faculty Travel Grants (FTGs) are now handled by COLA Academic Affairs. Please see the new wiki for the most relevant information.
  • Faculty cannot use direct bill for flights or hotel with an FTG. They must pay out of pocket and be reimbursed after the trip is completed. 

Travel Cash Advances

  • Travel cash advances are available for travelers who plan to pay for extraneous research needs during their travel. 
  • A cash advance is required if you expect to have any of the following expenses on your trip:
    • Payments to consultants, translators, or any third party payment (including payment of travel or entertainment costs for anyone other than yourself)
    • Purchase of equipment, supplies, or program expenses 
    • Payment for non-commercial lodging
  • Requests submitted less than 10 days in advance will be automatically denied.  However, you should aim to submit your request 30 days in advance because it often takes a full month for the request to be approved and the funds to be released.
  • See cash advance procedure here.

Travel Reimbursements

  • If you are requesting a reimbursement for your travel expenses, complete a Travel Reimbursement Request (TRR) as soon as your trip is over.   *If you received a cash advance for your trip, skip this step and follow the cash advance reconciliation instructions here.
  • Travel Reimbursement Request form is here, under Expense Requests:
  • Upload your receipts at the top of the page and use “Add expense type” box to detail each expense.  
  • Receipts are required for all travel expenses except your meals (list your per diem amount, up to the limit of $51/day) and ground transportation within a city (such as a taxi ride from the airport to your hotel).
  • When the form is complete, select continue at the bottom of the page, then assign it to Linguistics Travel.

All reimbursement requests (travel, meals, or purchases) must be submitted and final approved within 60 days.   The Dean’s Office will no longer approve any late reimbursement requests.  The COLA Central Business Services page has additional information about employee travel here.