Department of Classics

Education Abroad

Education Abroad is required for Classical Archaeology majors, and all Classics majors should be sure to spend a semester or at least a summer session studying abroad.  Study abroad is guaranteed to be one of the most rewarding experiences you can have as an undergraduate.  Don't miss it!

Start here: UT Education Abroad

Some Programs

There are dozens of study abroad programs suitable for classics majors: be sure to look around to see which will suit you best.  Note in particular the many universities in Britain, France, Germany, and elsewhere that have exchange programs with UT where you can take courses in Classics.  Here are a few programs run by UT Faculty or affliated with the University where you can study classics:

Summer Programs run by UT Faculty

Affiliated Summer Programs

Affiliated Semester-long Programs


If you attend a faculty-led or affiliated program, you will get UT credit with little trouble.  If you attend a non-affiliated program, things are a bit more complicated. If you want credit for CC 362, you MUST consult the department Study Abroad Advisor or the faculty Undergraduate Advisor before enrolling in a program. Also visit the study abroad office for information about UT affiliation and credit transer options. Classical Archaeology majors: wherever you choose to study abroad, make sure you get upper division credits that can count as CC 362 or equivalent. 

Paying for it

Many students let financial concerns keep them from studying abroad. Don't! There are numerous sources of financial aid available, including the following:

  • Scholarships from the programs themselves.  Many study abroad programs, including the Centro and CYA, offer their own scholarships.
  • UT Scholarships: There are lots of these.  You can find them on the Global A$$ist Page of the Education Abroad Web Site
  • Department of Classics Departmental Scholarships: Some of these are geared specifically for study abroad, and others can be used for that purpose.  Keep an eye open for the call for applications in March.
  • Plan II Honors, Liberal Arts Honors, and UTeach all have funds available for study abroad.  Consult the respective program.
  • Many other organizations (e.g., the Rotary Club and many employers) offer scholarships for study abroad.  Do some research and find all the ones for which you are eligible.

Things you need to do

  • Consult with the Classics Department Education Abroad Representative or Faculty Undergraduate Advisor--this is mandatory.
  • Go to a Education Abroad Information Session--this is mandatory.
  • Get a Passport.
  • Get an International Student ID.
  • Call the Education Abroad Office to make an appointment with an advisor.
  • Remember that you can use UT financial aid only for affiliated or exchange programs.
  • If you are going to use financial aid, mail your renewal (or original) FAFSA form ASAP after January 1 of the year you want to study abroad.
  • Get an estimate of airfare.
  • Type your scholarship/grant applications.

rmtaylor [at]